46

"Would you care to explain why on earth Harry is calling me again, asking if you're alive?" Esme bursts through my bedroom door, without even the courtesy of knocking first

Her phone is raised by the side of her head, only inches away from her ear but the screen pointing in my direction.

My stomach drops at the thought that Harry could possibly be on the receiving end of the phone right now, which would lead to me having to get Es to give an excuse without making it obvious to Harry, that I don't want to talk to him.

Except the problem is, I do want to talk to him.

I just don't know how to anymore.

At least not these past three weeks, since arriving back from Arizona.

The day after rushing out of my own apartment, my hands tightly clutched around copies of stats from work about ordering new equipment for the new ages 2 - 5 dance classes we're starting up in the next few months rather than the forms I claimed needed filling out, has been incredibly unusual, to say the least.

I'm still unsure as to what exactly came over me, but it felt like I was being suffocated and I've never had a problem with confined spaces, but at that moment in time, it felt like the four walls of my apartment were closing in.

Never in my life had I felt so claustrophobic.

With my terrible excuse, that I thought of on the spot - even though I vowed about not keeping secrets after not telling Es about H - the only thing left for me to do was to be alone, out in the fresh air, in order for me to process the many thoughts that were flowing through my head.

Unfortunately, what I didn't do was process the thoughts rationally as I had originally hoped.

This whole time of being with Harry, even before officially becoming his girlfriend, I've been doing my best to pretend soulmates just don't exist.

I mean, technically for the people who don't believe in them don't have the links with their soulmates.

I still think they have them though.

Like Isaac, it'd be so much easier if I just didn't believe like he doesn't, because he's doing perfectly well in his dating life. As it turns out, there are plenty of gays in the city with the same outlook as him. Isaac is very much a person who believes falling in love is a decision rather than fate.

Before, I would never have agreed, but now I can understand it more. I allowed myself to fall in love with Harry knowing full well that there'd be repercussions when the topic of soulmates were to inevitably come up.