25

~Ayla's POV~

About two weeks later, Soren finally took over the company after Mr. Maxwell retired. It was certainly weird for me to think that the man I was sleeping with was now technically my dad's boss in a way, but I really tried not to think about it because it was a little weird to me.

"Ayla!" I heard Soren complain as I stepped out of the shower early on a Tuesday morning, his voice coming from right outside the bathroom door. I wondered briefly if he had been out there for long. Surely not very long because this was the first time I had heard him say anything. "Hurry up and get your ass out here." He nagged, making me roll my eyes as I dried myself off with a towel. I slipped on my undergarments, still managing to struggle with hooking my bra even though I had been wearing bras since I was ten because my body developed so much so early. Afterwards I pulled on my jeans and then my black tee, gently towel drying my hair as I pulled open the door.

Like I expected, Soren was waiting outside the bathroom door when I came out, an impatient look on his handsome face. I raised a brow at him and crossed my arms over my chest. "Yes? Is there any reason in particular why you're being such a whiny baby, Soren?" I asked, staring up at him. He gazed back at me and shook his head. "No." He huffed cutely. "It's just because you were taking so long and I have to drive both of us to work now." He griped, the tone of his voice making it clear that he wasn't very happy about that. I snorted softly and slipped past him, wandering into my bedroom. He seemed more irritable today, for some reason that was unknown to me. "Are you just cranky because you didn't get enough sleep?" I wondered, looking at him over my shoulder. All he did was roll his eyes, so I took that as a hell no.

I set my towel down and found a pair of socks in my dresser, slipping them onto my feet once I sat down on the edge of my bed. "Could it be you're just sexually frustrated and are being cranky because it's been almost another week?" I wondered, cocking a brow up at him curiously. I had learned pretty quickly that he was the type of man who got grumpy when sexually frustrated. It was kind of funny, to be honest.

Soren huffed and leaned against the doorframe to my bedroom, staring at me as I grabbed my black heeled booties and slipped my feet into them. "Please," He scoffed and rolled his eyes. "If I was that sexually frustrated and you didn't want me, I'd just go to another girl." He said, making me raise my brows. It hurt my feelings a little bit, because I knew he probably didn't see me as anything but another notch on his bedpost, but I brushed it off. I knew what this had entailed, but it was different to hear it from him versus my own mind. He had no care or desire to be with only me, even though that was what I truly had wanted. Sometimes there's a give and take in these types of relationships, I guess.

"You said you're driving me to work?" I mentioned, not caring whether or not my sudden change in subject was the least bit subtle. I didn't want to think about that anymore. "Yeah," He nodded, crossing his arms over his chest. I sighed and stood up off my bed. "Why can't I drop you off? I'm the one who gets off first, which means I'd have to wait on you." I whined, grabbing my across-the-body purse before I followed him out of the room, flicking the light off on the way.

He just shrugged his shoulders, leading me down the hallway. "Because it's my car, and I don't want you to." He answered, shrugging his shoulders. I pouted, continuing to sulk all the way out to the car.

When Soren eventually slowed to a stop in front of my workplace, I went to get out of the car to head inside, but he suddenly grabbed my wrist. I looked over at him in surprise, a frown on my face as I met his gaze, raising my brows expectantly. "What?" I asked, a little too much sass in my voice. His pink lips twitched up into an amused smile and he leaned over the middle console between our seats. "Shouldn't you give your husband a kiss goodbye?" He hummed, cocking up a single brow.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "No." I said flatly, which only made him smile even wider, for whatever reason. He propped his elbow on the console and his thumb smoothed over the back of my hand as he stared at me. "C'mon. Just a little one?" He pretended to pout. I pulled my wrist out of his hold and gave him the most unimpressed look I could possibly muster, my hand still on the door handle. "I'm leaving." I said, but when I tried to open the door I found that he had put the child safety lock on, not letting me out. "Soren!" I exclaimed, whipping my head over to him.

As I should've expected from him, he just smiled at me with a playful glint in his eye. "Once?" He asked, his gaze flicking down to my lips. I hesitated this time, telling myself that I was only considering it because I needed to get out of the car, but I knew it wasn't true. "One kiss." I agreed eventually, leaning towards him. He gripped the back of my neck and pulled me in, our lips colliding in a kiss that was far from tender or caring. I felt shivers down my spine and goosebumps rose on my arms as I placed my palms on his chest. Admittedly it took more effort than it should have to finally push him away.

Our lips broke apart and Soren huffed out a breath, looking pouty as he unlocked my car door. I'd say he wasn't satisfied with the kiss, so he was sulking now. I didn't care, though, and just swung open the door before I got out of the car. The door slammed when I shut it and I didn't hear his car pull away until after I had safely stepped into the building, which made me smile to myself slightly. He had been making sure I was inside before leaving, and I thought it was sweet, even if I knew it was just for show. After all, he had to play the part of a loving husband in public.

I sighed and stalked down the hall, not really ready for a long day of work.