42 | Happens to The Best of Us

Bonnie and Fawnie laid side-by-side, staring up at the dimming sky silently. The cool night air made Fawn shiver for a moment, before Bonnie pulled her closer to his chest, the warmth radiating off of him seeming like a fireplace. "Have you ever cut someone?" Bonnie asked, only half curious.

Her body stilled, she was frozen in shock, never expecting Bonnie to ask about things like that. As much as she'd like to deny it, Fawn's seen and done a lot of bad things. All of them were to survive and she often reminds herself of that fact so she doesn't feel completely guilty.

"Yes." The word was a whisper, leaving Fawn Shelby's lips before dancing with the slight wind. Her jaw was tense, shame washed over her like the waves in Margate. The memories were fresh in her mind like the blister on her ankle from wearing flats. Fawn didn't want to look up and see the disgust on Bonnie's face, so she settled with closing her eyes tightly.

Just waiting for him to push her away and call her a murderer. Those she'd cut were still alive, just wearing a few scars and such. That wasn't murder, was it? Polly's words rang in Fawnie's head like the clock tower when it struck midnight "Murder of the soul is much worse than the killing of their body, once their soul is dead, they will never return home." Reincarnation was an odd prospect to Fawnie, but a part of her wanted to believe in it.

Bonnie glanced down at her, eyebrows creased in confusion at her eyes being shut. "What's wrong, little doe?" The nickname gave Fawn some form of happiness, she opened her eyes to stare into the golden brown expanses of Bon's eyes.

"Do you hate me now?" She felt like a child, asking Bonnie such a silly question. Fawnie knew he'd always be kind to her... but she always worried about scaring him away. Especially after giving him a scare.

He shook his head with a chuckle, "I could never hate you, sijoukar." Fawn didn't know what the word meant, sure, Bonnie's been teaching her broken Romani so she could somewhat understand his family, but it was so complicated and much harder than English. One would think Fawnie would know Romani like her family but sadly she never got the chance to learn, Winnie had promised to teach Fawn.

Fawn's forehead creased with her confusion, "What's that mean, Bon?" Bonnie smirked and whispered 'beautiful' in her ear. A red hot blush spread across her entire body, the heat even reaching her toes.

"If you don't mind me asking, how'd you do it?"

"The cuttings?" She asked and Bon nodded, "They made me angry enough to do it, I suppose. Took Finn's hat and used his blades, since I haven't got a Peaky hat of me own." Fawn's fingers traced random shapes on Bonnie's chest, the cloth soft from frequent wear and wash.

They fell into a comfortable silence, with Bonnie holding his girl and Fawn relishing in the safety of Bonnie's arms. "Did you blind them?" He questioned and Fawn nodded.

"I told them it was so they'd hear my heels on the cobblestones if they ever said shite about my brother- uncle," Fawnie reminded herself, "again..." Bonnie raised an eyebrow, "They called him a bugger, it doesn't even matter if he is interested in men. It's the fact that they dare say anything like that... it pissed me off so badly, I didn't even think twice, I just grabbed his hat and did it."

Fawnie's eyes were wide as she recalled the event, "Nobody knows, not even Tommy..." She clenched her eyes shut, "I told John, he said it was okay, happens to the best of us... then he said..."

She took a deep breath, "I was the best of the Shelby family, despite my heritage ironically enough..."

"Hey, hey, we don't have to talk about it anymore, if it makes you sad, ves'tacha." He wiped the tears off of Fawn's cheeks with the pads of his thumbs and she nodded.

"No, it helps me... talking to you. Confiding in you gives me release... since John's passing, I haven't had anyone to confide in... then this g-word boy rode in on a horse and swooped me up into his strong arms and saved me from breaking."

It was Bonnie's turn to blush, Fawn felt the heat on his cheeks, smiling at him sweetly. "I think I'm in love with you, Bonnie Gold." She murmured, "I've never felt like this before but I think this is what true love feels like." The pair stared at one another for some minutes, letting her confession sit in the air for a moment.

"And I, you, Fawnie Shelby. The daughter of a gangster king... a princess with a heart of gold."

She shook her head and placed her hand over his heart, it beat quickly from the action, "Your heart was crafted from the finest of golds, Bonnie."

━━━━

Being back with the Gold family was nice, Fawn could feel their stares and knowing looks whenever Bonnie would show any affection but a part of her didn't care. She knew marriage would come up soon now that their relationship was up in the air. But every time she looked into Bonnie's eyes, any worry sitting in her head would disappear.

He felt like home and Fawn loved the feeling.

"I'm glad to see you're alright, Ms. Shelby." Aberama's (now) familiar voice appeared from behind her.

"Call me Fawnie, please." She asked and Aberama nodded, "I'm glad I'm alive too." A slight chuckle left her throat, Fawnie hung her jacket on the clothesline. "How... how was he- when he found out?"

The look in Aberama's eyes were like a knife in her chest, "Worst I've ever seen my boy," She looked at the ground in shame, it wasn't right for her to let Tommy lie to Bon... none of it was. "But I think some part of him knew you were alive," Aberama said with a growing smile.

"Really?"

He nodded, "Bonnie's always been able to feel his loved ones, that includes you, Fawnie." Aberama pointed at her as Fawnie's face lit up, she noticed Bon coming down the path toward his father and girlfriend.

"Bonnie, I thought you had training?"

As soon as the Gold men saw one another they hugged with smiles, "It got canceled, something happened in the gym." Bonnie got comfortable beside his father, "Aunt Rose said lunch is done, told me to find you two."

"Thank you, Bonnie. I'll leave you two to it," Aberama tipped his hat at Fawn like always.

Once out of earshot, Bon gave Fawnie a kiss. "Missed you," She nodded in agreement with a grin. "Are you hungry? I feel like I'm dyin'."

"Yea, let's eat."

AUTHOR'S NOTE

AUTHOR'S NOTE.

My writing it feeling shite again anyway, thank you all for 85k reads?? That's massive. I hope you enjoyed, sorry for the long wait.