05 | So Stupid

Fawnie walked into Michael's hospital room silently, she didn't necessarily want to be at the meeting but Ada convinced Fawn to try and help with the family business

Fawnie walked into Michael's hospital room silently, she didn't necessarily want to be at the meeting but Ada convinced Fawn to try and help with the family business. Ever since John's passing, Fawn and Finn have stepped up in helping with placing and marking bets. Finn collects them, Fawn puts them into the books.

The room now had a large table in the middle of it, around it were six chairs. Lizzie, Ada, and Polly sat down but Fawnie decided to stand, Arthur would need a seat anyway. "Sorry I'm late." Aunt Polly announced and Thomas finally looked up, his eyes scanned the room until they fell on his little sister.

"Where's Arthur? And why is she here?" 

Polly shook her head, "Do I look like his fucking mother? And Fawnie deserves a place in the meetin', she's been helping with the books. She ought to know what the fuck is going on."

The older Shelby man tilted his head to the side and squinted, "Helping with the books, eh? In what capacity?" 

Ada smiled to herself, "She's been–"

Thomas shook his head no, eyes trained on Fawnie. Her jaw sat tightly shut and her eyes tired from lack of sleep, "I was asking Fawnie." He said.

His younger sister wet her lips and chewed on the bottom one for a moment before speaking, she stepped forward. "Finn's been collecting the money for the bets... and since I'm far better at maths than he is, I've been entering them in the books. I've also taken the time to learn..." Fawn's eyes watered at the thought of his name. "I've taken time to learn John's system. So there's no need to change the books at all..." 

"Huh," Tom took a drag from his cigarette, "I assume they're done correctly?" She nodded silently, wanting to leave the room. "Alright then, after we finish the legal side of the discussion, you're going to go and find Arthur. A Peaky Blinder will accompany you–"

"I'm fine without one of those arseholes–"

He drew in a large breath, "Fawnie Rose, there are fuckin' Italians in our city and if you want to live to see the day where the sky isn't blackened by coal, you'll have a Peaky Blinder by your side." Fawnie just decided to nod in agreement, her body was tired from everything in the last month or so. 

It was as though she hasn't slept in years. Thomas stood up, addressing the group, "Before we start this extraordinary general meeting of the board and Fawnie of the Shelby Company Limited, I'd like to note the absence of the Deputy Vice President who has not yet arrived. We will continue without his presence."

Fawn sat in Arthur's seat and took the paper Tom handed her, reading it as fast as she could, Tom cleared his throat loudly before he began. "Item number one. The reinstatement of the Shelby Company Limited Company Treasurer. The board welcomes back the former treasurer, with generously improved terms and conditions." 

━━━━

The teen had to force herself to not zone out as Tom discussed the company, "All those in favor of the reinstatement of Mrs. Elizabeth Gray, to the position of Shelby Company Limited Company Treasurer, please raise your hands." Fawnie rose her hand for Arthur, knowing he'd welcome Polly back with open arms.

Everyone at the table rose their hands, even Tom, "Why goodness, thank you." Polly deadpanned and a tiny smirk found its way onto Fawnie's face.

"Any other business?" Tom asked as he put his papers in order, "Right. I declare this extraordinary general meeting over. Now we can talk about the real business. But for that we need Arthur. Fawnie, he should be at the factory."