55 | Their Old Key

TW: descriptions of a panic attack

Fawnie knew that the ring was Sylvia's the moment she slipped it on

Fawnie knew that the ring was Sylvia's the moment she slipped it on. Why else would Tommy have had a random set of rings? She remembered Grace's dramatic and god-awful wedding ring easily. This, however? It was too soft... too delicate.

"He had a matching one made for me," Bonnie said and she looked at him curiously. "I know, I was surprised too."

The wedding was practically a blur for Fawnie. Drinks kept getting pushed in her hands, children kept begging her to dance, and worst of all; the gifts. There wasn't anything wrong with them—and that was the problem! Fawnie loved each one so much she felt terrible for reacting the same to each one.

Aberama's gift was... the best one though she had to admit. It was as much a gift to his son as it was to his new daughter-in-law. A beautiful traditional Roma vardo was made for the couple in the event they ever need a home away from home.

Tommy did strangely well on his gift too; a house in the country but not too far that Fawnie felt helpless. He knew her well enough to know she needed to be at least a horse ride away from a city. All he gave was a key, the rest were from Lizzie (bought with his money, he made sure to emphasize that).

Everything else ranged from traditional Roma clothing to journals for them to write in. She was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things.

Even if her fathers gave her the "best" gifts, her favorite one was from Esme. It was more a gift from John than her but Fawnie couldn't fight the tears when she opened the box to find all of the drawings and letters she sent to John neatly packed beneath the wooden toys he carved for her when she was just a young child.

She thought they were lost to time and there they were... sitting in a bloody box. Fawn hugged Esme for a long time after that. It was like a time capsule in her hands, Fawnie was beyond excited to go through it one day for the memories.

A lot of Bonnie's gifts were similar, ironically. Some cufflinks, a pair of boxing gloves, a coupon to get a tailored suit (and a shitty joke about his fashion tastes to go with it), and other equally boring things. Fawnie was quite proud of what she begged Tommy to get her husband. It wasn't cheap–hence the begging–and it definitely wasn't easy to come by but Fawn knew he'd love it.

Despite his old-fashioned nature, Bonnie always showed a fascination with modern cars. So she asked for a sports car. The brand and name were both unknown to her but Bonnie's pure unhinged excitement was enough to say they did well.

"A bloody car? That's too much, Mr. Shelby!"

Tommy shook Bon off, "No it isn't," He still doesn't tell Bonnie to call him Tommy which makes Fawn roll her eyes.

"I told you he'd love it."

And after the gifts were received, a gift that kept on giving kept on... giving. In other words, Fawnie Rose Shelby-Gold got bloody plastered. Even Bonnie was encouraging getting her drunk off her arse. He claimed it was hilarious.