04 | Finally Got Christmas

"The fuck is going on in here?" Fawn jumped at the sound of Tom's voice, she hasn't spoken to him since the funeral that morning

"The fuck is going on in here?" Fawn jumped at the sound of Tom's voice, she hasn't spoken to him since the funeral that morning. It felt like a month ago when Fawnie watched John's body go up in flames, but it was only hours prior to meeting the strange boy beside her. 

She immediately recoiled from Tom, not wanting to be near him after what he said. "Nothing, Thomas. Bonnie here caught me petting his horse. That's all." Thomas raised his eyebrows at her, clearly not believing her. "Look, I don't care if you don't believe me. But that is all that fuckin' 'went on'." She brushed past Tom harshly, bumping his shoulder on her way. 

Fawnie knew her older brother hated that she kept calling him 'Thomas'. In Fawn's mind, if she's so honored to be able to call herself a Shelby then she and Tom aren't family. And only family calls him Tommy. She remembered when she used to call him Tom, but ever since he lost her, he's prohibited anyone from calling him by the name she called him.

A long row of makeshift tables extended down the length of the empty space in Charlie's Yard, it felt wrong for there to be tables in the yard. Fawnie nearly smiled at the sight of Johnny Dogs and Charlie arguing about potatoes. "I'll get the potatoes meself!" He exclaimed as Charlie rolled his eyes at him.

She made her way to Charlie, wanting to know why potatoes are so important in a time like this. "Why is he goin' on about potatoes?" 

Charlie shrugged, "Doesn't want the Gold's to think we're uncivilized. And, it's Christmas."

"Oh, the crooks finally got Christmas..." Fawnie mused sourly, "Need any help? Thomas kicked me out of the stables because of that Bonnie kid." Her uncle shrugged, looked around, and nodded.

"You can pluck that other goose... unless you get squeamish."

She narrowed her eyes at him, "Me? Squeamish? Have you met me? I am the girl that put dog shite in her brother's pillowcase because he wrinkled my Sunday dress." Charlie shook his head at Fawnie with a smile, happy to hear her joking, and handed her an apron so she could get to work.

━━━━

Dinner was finally done and Fawnie was exhausted. Who knew that plucking the feathers off of a goose was so difficult with cold hands? "I feel like my fingers have gone numb," She stuck her hand out toward Ada and the older Shelby sister rolled her eyes, "Feel them, Ad, they're freezing!" Ada grabbed Fawn's hands and gasped at the icy feeling.

"Go stand by the fire, Fawn. You're going to get sick." Instead of arguing, Fawn just nodded and rushed toward one of the many fire pits around the yard. 

She rubbed her hands together above the flames and showed her palms to the fire, wanting to warm them up as soon as possible. Even though the holiday season has always been one of Fawn's favorite times of the year, she absolutely detests the cold weather. She hates snow, rain, anything that dims the very rare sun. Birmingham isn't known for its tropical weather after all. 

A few figures left the stables, Fawn looked up and noticed Thomas, an unfamiliar man, and the boy. Bonnie branched off from them with a nod and marched toward Fawnie. His hands were stuck in his pockets and his shirt looked out of place– as though he'd just put it back on. 

The youngest Shelby watched her new acquaintance make his way toward her as she warmed her cold hands. "Did he threaten you for breathing near me?" She asked calmly and Bonnie shook his head no.

"Told my dad off... before agreeing to help me out." There was a hint of underlying excitement in Bonnie's voice, this made Fawn wonder what Thomas agreed to.

"With what?" Fawn pursed her lips, staring at the fire absentmindedly. 

A smile graced Bonnie's features, "My career... as a boxer." The snicker that left Fawnie's mouth was completely unintentional. She wanted to take Bonnie seriously, especially since Fawn doesn't know Bonnie very well. "You find that funny?" 

She shakes her head, covering her mouth, "No, it's just... you're so small." She tried to make her voice sound neutral, not mocking. Because she wasn't mocking the boy, just making an observation.

Bonnie feigned pain, "You wound me, Ms. Shelby." He copied Fawn's posture, sticking his hands out toward the fire. "I am stronger than I look." 

The Shelby girl nodded slowly and turned to look at Bonnie with a false smile, "Of that, I have no doubt, Mr. Gold." His eyebrows crinkled as Fawn made her way to the long line of tables without another word. She sat beside Ada, her sister raised her eyebrows at Fawnie, and Fawn shook her head. "Don't you start," 

━━━━

Fawnie Shelby's arms were crossed over her chest, she shook her head no. "Now why the fuck would I want to go somewhere with you?" She practically spat the words at Thomas.

Her brother sighed and brought his hand to rub his eyes, "Because it's not safe for you to be running about like a headless chicken, Fawnie." The air was still crisp but Fawn disagreed with another shake of her head. "What do I have to do to get you to listen–"

"An apology would be a damn good start," 

Thomas chuckled dryly at Fawn's proposition, "I think you owe me an apology–"

"I could list all of your mistakes in the last five years if you'd like?" She asked, when Tom didn't answer, she began listing things off, "Trusted the fuckin' enemy, used your brother's funeral as a beacon, used my blood against me, killed your best friend, your little sister, your sister's husband, made enemies with people you haven't even got the right tools to fight with, and you've gotten involved with fuckin' politics,"

She spoke quickly and listed each transgression with a finger. By the time she finished speaking, her face was red, "So I think it's rather appropriate that you should apologize to me on account that I simply said the truth everyone's so afraid to address. You should know I won't stand down, Thomas." Her blazing blue eyes met his, "After all, I get it from you." 

"