48 | Shelby Ladies Club

Fawn flitted around the room, organizing everything she could before Victoria made it to Ada's house

Fawn flitted around the room, organizing everything she could before Victoria made it to Ada's house. The sitting room had a tray with a tea set sitting on the coffee table, the rug was recently cleaned, pastries sat on a tall stand, and the pulled-back curtains allowed the sun to stream in.

There was no real reason to be nervous, Polly knew Victoria and everyone else would be civil. Fawnie was a bit worried about how Linda might act, she was known to be a bit of a cunt now and again. But after everything, something seemed to change between the two.

It was almost as if Linda finally respected Fawnie. She thought it was fucking odd but tried her best to be as civil as possible. (which if you know Fawnie, she's a dick).

"You alright, dear? You're a bit flushed." Ada's eyebrows were raised with concern.

Fawn's head snapped up quickly, she nodded sharply, gulping in time with her shaking head. "I'm excellent," She said as she exhaled, the nerves refusing to unstick from her insides. "Great, splendid, absolutely wonderful." Fawnie could hear the crack in her voice as she tried to force a smile.

Ada shook her head at Fawnie, "Come here then," Ada embraced her niece, holding the back of Fawnie's head softly. "It's gonna be alright, Polly's had a talk with Linda. You haven't a thing," She drew back, Fawn's face in between her hands, "to worry about, yea?"

The younger woman nodded slowly, "Thank you," Her eyes were glossy, she was terribly nervous. "Thank you, Ads."

"That's enough of all that, come on now, go freshen up, she's to be here any minute now." Ada sent Fawnie off to the bathroom, she took this opportunity gratefully.

Once alone on the second floor of the massive house, Fawnie released a deep breath. She leaned her forehead against the cool tiling on the wall, it soothed the ache beginning to set root in her temples. "God," She spoke in a whisper, too stuck in her own head to talk very loud.

Countless absurd scenarios danced through her mind; Linda calling Victoria a whore, Fawnie threatening Linda in front of Victoria, Ada not liking her, a million different bad endings haunted her. Then something inside Fawn clicked and she laughed at herself.

She was stressing over something as silly as seeing her birth mother when just weeks ago she was worried about her bloody life. It was a terrible relief for her perspective to change. The anxiety stayed but Fawn found it easier to cope with at that moment. She couldn't control what would happen, she would just have to try and hope that everyone would be kind.

After washing her hands and pressing a cool washcloth to her forehead, Fawnie finally gave herself a once-over in the mirror. She still found it difficult to look at herself, even after all this time. Most days she just didn't like who looked back, today felt a little different. She wasn't as resentful, content... maybe. Fawnie ignored her stupid brain and made her way downstairs.