25 | Victoria

Fawnie Shelby felt nervous, not the usual type of nervousness she typically felt

Fawnie Shelby felt nervous, not the usual type of nervousness she typically felt... she felt cold and clammy at the sight of the beautiful home. It had to have been at least four stories tall, Fawn would bet her bloody life on it. She clenched her fists as Bonnie stood beside her, quietly waiting.

She kept chewing on her bottom lip, going so far as to pull the skin off of it. The feeling burned but it was better than the cold sweat trailing down her neck.

After taking a deep breath, Fawn finally began to walk toward the building. "If anything happens, we run?" Bonnie scratched the back of his neck.

"I don't think that's the most effective way of escape," He said with a thoughtful look on his face.

She looked up at Bonnie, "Then what do you suggest?"

"Telling the truth?" He suggested.

Fawn scoffed, "If word gets out that Fawnie Shelby was in London when she was supposed to be in Small Heath, not only with my aunt Pol undoubtedly beat my arse, but I'd never hear the end of it from Thomas." She stopped speaking once the pair stood in front of the door, before lifting the knocker, she took off her cap to make her seem more approachable. Bonnie did the same.

It felt like time slowed as Fawnie reached forward to lift the knocker of the door, once, twice, thrice. Three loud knocks surely vibrated through the home. "Just a second!" A voice rang through the wooden door and the pair looked at one another, when the door finally swung open, Fawnie felt herself physically deflate.

"What can I do for you two?" An elderly woman smiled at them as Fawnie forced her disappointed expression into a pleasant one.

"Hi ma'am, I work for a Mr. Shelby and he's requested that my associate and I find someone." Fawnie could see Bonnie shaking his head at her out of the corner of her eye, but she continued talking, "We're looking for a woman who I've been lead to believe previously lived here? I have her photo." She showed the woman the photo.

The lady's smile grew even wider somehow, "Oh my, is that Victoria? She looks so pretty in that. How'd you get it?"

Fawn pocketed the photo once more, "I haven't a clue, Mr. Shelby gave us the photo... and ordered us to do our best to find her. Does she live here?" The woman nodded and Fawnie felt a twinge of hope.

"But sadly she's not going to be home until this Friday..." Once again, Fawn felt her face fall, the whiplash from getting hope only for it to be ripped away again was wearing her down. The woman snapped her finger and her face lit up, "You could leave your number? And I'll tell her to call?"

That could work, but the more Fawn thought about it, the better it seemed that Fawnie physically meets the woman. "I believe we could work around something of my partners. It's in the evening so I'm sure I could come here, meet Victoria and then attend his boxing match."

Fawnie looked at Bonnie, "Do you reckon I could make it here and back in time?"

Bonnie tilted his head to the side, "You're coming? If you want, I'll come here with you, for protection and all that."

"But the fight-" Fawnie insisted.

He shook his head no before speaking softly, "It doesn't matter, Mr. Shelby cares about whatever this is. So do I."

They nearly forget about the woman until she made a sighing noise at the young adults, "So you'll be here on Friday? Tori doesn't get in until seven in the morning. Good luck with your match young man."

Fawnie finally smiled, "Thank you for being so kind, ma'am. Mr. Shelby will be very pleased with this outcome."

"Oh, it's nothing! You just remind me of my Tori oh so much, I truly can't believe the resemblance!" Hearing that for the second time today made Fawnie a bit uneasy. She just nodded before the pair of young adults bid the older woman goodbye.

━━━━

"Thank you for not being weird about my crying earlier," Fawn said quietly while rubbing her hands against one another.

Bonnie nodded, they sat beside one another on the train headed toward Birmingham. "You seem tired," He noted and Fawn agreed with a perfectly timed yawn.

Her eyes watered due to it and she felt extremely sleepy. "I am, but I'm also glad we figured it out. Thank you for your help, Bonnie, today was fun despite the crying and all." She chuckled under her breath and Bon offered her a warm smile.

"Of course, you can sleep if you like. I'll wake you up once we're close."

Fawnie fought off another yawn, "I've yet to tell you why I wanted to find the woman- Victoria."

He shook his head, "Maybe once you're not about to drop dead, get some sleep." Bonnie pushed his jacket toward her to use as a pillow and she finally agreed. Fawnie folded the jacket into a comfortable shape and put it between her head and the wall of the train car.

During her sleep, Fawnie managed to lean on Bonnie's shoulder as he kept watch to make sure nothing happened. He smiled fondly at the sound of Fawn's soft snores. "Sleep well, little deer."

"