20 | Pretty is The Better Word

Fawnie was aware that today was her last day with the Gold family and she found herself feeling sad about it

Fawnie was aware that today was her last day with the Gold family and she found herself feeling sad about it. She would never admit to Michael how good of a time the past few days had been, living like a real g-word woman, embracing her roots... she wished every day could be like the past have been. But alas, Small Heath (or more accurately, Tommy Shelby) calls Fawnie and Michael to return back home.

"Now, our esteemed guests of honor will be leaving us tomorrow, so let's give em' a night they'll never forget!" Aberama announced loudly in front of the large bonfire, there were cheers as Fawnie smiled genuinely for the first time in ages.

She's spent a lot of her time on her own, just thinking over what's recently happened. John's death remained at the forefront of her mind despite how hard Fawn tried to focus on any of the other problems she's been faced with. One of them being her growing interest in her mother, the woman who abandoned Fawnie at a young age.

Her whole life she'd heard about the Shelby family's mum, Miriam, and how amazing she was. But Fawn couldn't relate, she didn't know anything about her mother other than that she abandoned Fawnie in exchange for living her life as a g-word. 

"What're you moping about now?" Michael's voice made Fawn glance up at him, she shook her head no and he rolled his eyes. Fawnie was aware of her smiling, so how had Michael noticed? "You're chewin' your nails, Finn does the same shite when he's overthinkin' things. What's wrong?"

"Everything is bloody wrong, Michael. Or have you forgotten about what's happened, eh?"

━━━━

Fawnie hadn't meant to snap at Michael but his constant complaining paired with his sudden interest in her feelings made for a deadly combination. She quickly pushed herself off of the log they sat on and walked away from the crowd. The new camp was unfamiliar to Fawn but luckily there was a worn path made in the woods, she could care less about getting hurt right now.

At least there weren't any bloody Italians around. Fawn thought sarcastically. The sight of a small creek was comforting and the moon illuminated the area enough for her to see. She glanced back, the large bonfire wasn't too far from her so if anything happened, they'd hear if she screamed... with that thought, Fawnie allowed herself to relax.

She brought her hands up to her face and rubbed it down, trying to resist the overwhelming urge to cry. It was so difficult to not cry for Fawn, it's always been her first emotional response since she was young. When Ada pulled her hair too hard when trying to braid the younger girl's brown locks, Fawnie bawled until Polly gave her a biscuit to quiet her down.

That time that Tommy stepped on Fawn's doll was a horrible one in terms of Fawnie crying nonstop for nearly two days. That is until another doll appeared on her pillow when she laid down to sleep. When Winnie pushed Fawn down the last few steps and Fawnie sprained her ankle, she cried so loudly that she couldn't speak for a week.