40 | Lost in My Thoughts

Fawnie expected instant relief upon ending Luca Changretta with a shot to the head

Fawnie expected instant relief upon ending Luca Changretta with a shot to the head. He was killed immediately and crumpled to the ground like a discarded sheet. Instead of some fraction of relief, Fawnie felt absolutely nothing. Nothing changed despite having avenged John Shelby. She slowly lowered the gun and realized how heavily she breathed.

Her heart was the only indicator she'd done something horrible. It beat faster than she could count but her attention was brought toward Finn as he stared at Fawnie and Arthur like they were ghosts. (which they technically are)

"What the fuck?" Finn's voice echoed as he shouted, Fawnie couldn't imagine how he felt.

There wasn't a right way to help him cope with the information so Fawn hugged him tightly, whispering apology after apology under her breath.

━━━━

The vendetta was over but Fawnie's life was just beginning. She hadn't realized that it was put on pause due to the imminent threat. Everything from the day John died to now has changed drastically. Fawnie can see how different even she looks. For the first time in ages, she's really looking at herself in the mirror.

Every time until now... she's glanced then turned away or covered the reflective surface indefinitely. But something in her head has been nagging at her to take a proper gander at herself.

Nothing about her is familiar, the tiredness behind her empty eyes is off, the permanent frown isn't Fawn at all, even her body has changed. She's slimmer than before but oddly bigger... then it dawns on Fawnie the longer she stares into the mirror. She looks like Tommy, he's not that tall of a man but yet he seems so large and foreboding.

She chuckles dryly at the thought, knowing now that he's her father still baffles the young woman. Despite hardly having accepted the information, Fawn finds that it makes so much sense she is his child. Something in his blood is different than that of his siblings, something in his very DNA sets him apart from his family. Save for Fawnie, she's got that thing about her as well.

Maybe it's their eyes or their poker face... something about Thomas and Fawnie Shelby is chilling.

Fawnie knew that with the end of the vendetta, her life would catch up with her. And that included Bonnie Gold. She had no idea how to even begin to explain what happened, she didn't even know if Bonnie was still in Birmingham. It frightened her to think about showing up out of the blue and saying something stupid like "Hey Bon, I'm alive," with an equally idiotic smile on her face.

She hated it all. Why did the Shelby family have to be so damn cursed? And why was she the one who had to deal with so many little issues? Because I'm the king's daughter. Her inner monologue was no help. It sounded like Aunt Polly and Tommy together, the two people who made Fawnie the woman she now is.

"Fawnie are you alright in there?" Speak of the devil and she will show up.

"I'm fine, Aunt Pol. Just thinking." Fawn hadn't talked so loudly in ages and it scratched at her throat.