33 | To Be Like You

Fawnie felt conflicted once again, a common occurrence since the start of the vendetta

Fawnie felt conflicted once again, a common occurrence since the start of the vendetta. Everything she's had to endure in the last five or so months was crashing down on her, one by one. First, the morning of Christmas, what was supposed to be a grand day full of wonderful festivities soon turned into a bleak one. Then that same day, the loss of John and everything after it seemed to become a blur.

The feeling of rage was something Fawn became comfortable with. The rage was sizzling beneath the surface of her skin and it blinded her vision until she snapped. Fawn didn't find it to be a pleasant feeling, knowing that she too inherited Arthur Shelby Senior's horrible temperament, that she too was known as 'crude' and 'loud' and 'brash'. She was never a lady.

Any Shelby woman wasn't considered lady-like, how could they be? Surrounded by such stupidity all the time made a woman grow tired of the pleasantries other women faked. With that thought, Fawnie realized that Shelby women were real. They didn't pretend to be soft like everyone else, they let others see the cold side of them and maybe that's what frightened Fawnie.

That she too, was cold as ice. That Fawnie Rose wasn't just a pretty flower, she had thorns that were ready at any moment's notice to cut the enemy down... despite feeling as though she should be proud of being strong, Fawnie hated the thought that she abused her power.

Taking a life isn't what she ever wanted to do, but alas, Fawnie Shelby did just that. She took the breath from another and hadn't slept the same ever since. It seemed irrelevant-- her killing an Italian --to the current conversation, but Fawnie found herself connecting it to the fact that Tommy was her father.

She took after him far more than she'd like to admit, but now she couldn't deny the glaring similarities. Not only on the surface did she look like Thomas, but, deep down inside, she thought like him. Her brain fired its pistons as his did and her soul was blackened like coal all the same as Tommy's. It seemed for the first time in the last however long, Fawnie didn't feel hatred with that thought.

Usually, whenever she thought about the similarities between herself and Tommy, she'd get the urge to throw up or to curse at herself for being so daft. But it seemed now... Fawnie accepted that it was fate for her to end up like him -- it was genetics.

Even if she wanted to ignore the beating of her heart and the voices of her now, great-aunt and brother turned father, Fawnie forced herself to get out of her head and listen to what they had to say.

"Yes, he's your uncle, which I think isn't fair to you, considering you're far smarter than Finn."

Fawn felt the urge to laugh at Polly's jab but refrained from doing so. "If we're not telling anybody, then we have nothing else to discuss... right?"

The eldest Shelby in the room shook her head, "I think you two should talk privately, even if you do end up screamin' at one another." Polly looked to Fawn, "The fight isn't until later tonight, you won't be missing anything."