Epilogue | Ice and Gold

Fawnie Rose Shelby-Gold couldn't describe the contentment she felt

Fawnie Rose Shelby-Gold couldn't describe the contentment she felt. It was more similar to laying in the warm sun with a book than it was too genuine happiness. She never understood what it meant to be happy anyway. Fawnie was a product of her environment and those around her.

She was bitter, sarcastic, harsh, and a cunt more often than she was sweet and kind. Softness wasn't something she associated with herself. That is until she met him. Bonnie Gold... the boy with a heart of gold.

And just like gold, it was heavy—his heart, that is.

But not in a way that made loving him a burden, his heart was heavy in the way three thick blankets in winter hold you down... the way they support you and make sure you feel secure. Loving Bonnie Gold was like that tired feeling right before you fall asleep because you're so comfortable.

No emotion could compete with Fawnie's love for him.

Not even the loss of any loved ones in her life. She felt guilty for even thinking that. After her panic attack at the wedding, she drank away her sorrows then spent the next month trying to get better.

She made herself confront the memories that were haunting her and eliciting such a reaction from her. It was long and hard work. Fawn spent her time in Arrow House so she would have help if needed. Tommy would talk through things with her even on his busiest of days. That might have been the weirdest part.

No one really talked about it but Fawnie had faint memories of Thomas screaming at night right when the boys all came back from the war. In fact, he had night terrors until he moved out after marrying Grace. They were exhausting and left everyone in the house tired from lack of sleep. And no one could comfort him, it was sad.

Fawnie talked to Tommy about him giving her Esme's house and Tommy said he thought that she'd like it. Fawn could see the truth in his eyes. "A piece of John, as your own." He said. She supposed it made sense. Everyone knew of the love she carried for John. That immense amount of admiration... the love she now uses to care for a boy.

With every realization, Fawnie understands that everything truly is a cycle. Polly has always droned on about how nothing can be destroyed or recreated. That the world itself is too old for anything new. She even says that when people die, they're taken to the stars and laid to rest there. It's beautifully depressing.

━━━━

"Even now I wonder if you're real, Mr. Gold."

Bonnie smiled down at his wife, "Hmm, I often wonder the same thing, Mrs. Gold." He emphasized 'Mrs.' with a smirk.

She had her arms around his neck as they stood together, listening to a record. Fawnie couldn't hide the blush that spread all over her, she still wasn't used to hearing him call her his. While she's an incredibly independent woman, Fawnie kind of likes the idea of belonging to and with Bon.

"What if neither of us is real?" She wondered.

"I think if one of us were to be imaginary, it'd be you. You're too... special for this world."

Fawnie snorted loudly and leaned her head on his chest, trying not to laugh too hard. "You're mad, Bonnie Gold."

"You are the one in love with this mad man." He hugged her, tickling at her sides softly.

The sound of her surprise only encouraged him, she groaned, "Stop you bastard!" He listened and only chuckled at her reaction. "You know that shite kills me, you fucker."

"Ouch, you're rather comfortable with those insults, Mrs. Gold."

"Maybe because my husband is a right idiot who doesn't know how to keep his hands to himself." She gave him a funny look.

Bon's evil little smirk only grew into a cheshire cat smile. "Hmm, you didn't complain about me not keeping my hands to myself any other times."

That bright red blush that faded on her skin was brighter than ever. "God, you're even worse than Isiah. You should stop talking to him, he's turning you into a monster."

"I think you're a bad influence more than he is."

She gaped at him dramatically, "Take that back right now, Mr. Shelby."

"Ew don't say that name."

"I am still Fawnie Rose Shelby-Gold." She pointed out.

Bonnie returned her arms around his neck and shook his head, "Why'd you keep his name?"

Her eyebrows pushed together in confusion, "It's my family's name, I want them with me, always." She explained, shrugging. Not really seeing why he would ask that in the first place. "I know... that things with Tommy are still tense–" She took a deep breath, "I may not have the best relationship with my family name but... I don't know, I guess I feel obligated?"

"I didn't think about it like that, Shelby does suit you though, doesn't it?" She could sense the thinly veiled trap.

"Gold's a much prettier surname in my opinion, especially because it's quite literal in your case." Fawnie pushed her fingers through the hair at the nape of his neck, smiling up at him, "I can't believe the boy with a heart of gold fell for the girl made of ice."

Bonnie held her face in his hands and shook his head, "You're not ice, little dear, you're the brightest fire to ever scorch the lands. You're unbearable and harsh, but it's hard to dislike that when it's you. You're warmth personified, dear Fawnie. You're my home."

The tears were falling before she could stop them, "And you, mine." She murmured with a sad smile.

" She murmured with a sad smile

AUTHOR'S NOTE.

I... I don't even know where to start with this author's note since it's going to be the last in this story. I'm just immensely grateful for every comment, vote, and just the overall beaming light of support I've gotten on this story. I hadn't expected much to come of this book since it's for Bonnie Gold and Bonnie's not nearly as popular as Tommy but it's come so very far.

I'm struggling to find the words after saying thank you all for the past two years. I don't really want it to end but I am also so relieved to finally be able to mark this complete and let Fawnie rest with her love.

Thank you for over 200,000 reads, that number is ludicrous to me--insane actually. I can't even begin to explain how amazed I am at the love Fawnie's gotten.

My writing has changed so much since I began writing this in May 2020 and for the better I hope. Thank you all for joining me on this very long, painful, yet beautiful journey as I grew with one Fawnie Shelby. I love her and am glad I was able to write her story. There might be a sequel sometime in the future, I'm not too sure though. Might move onto different things once I finish Winnie's book.

Once more, thank you for reading. I appreciate every one of you. Have a wonderful day.