49 | Mrs. Gold, Eh?

Fawnie enjoyed the simplistic nature of her life after going through hell, a lot

Fawnie enjoyed the simplistic nature of her life after going through hell, a lot... maybe too much but no one dared to berate her for playing house with Bonnie. Of course, Polly gave her funny looks and the boys would say things under their breaths but Fawn expected it from her family.

Spending time with Bonnie was nothing less than a dream. They'd argue from time to time but things would smooth over quickly because they cared too much about one another. Fawnie loved that about their relationship. Even though they were so incredibly young, they understood each other on such a deep level that things worked out perfectly.

They would go on a walk each morning in the quiet and listen to nature. It was Fawn's favorite part of the day. Bonnie would go to training and during that time, Fawn would do really anything that caught her interest.

Lately, she'd found herself reading Winnie's diaries from when they were kids. The writing faded from the years passed but Fawn could make things out from context clues. She enjoyed the look inside her late sister's head and would read aloud to Finn if he was around. She spent most of her time at Arrow house or in the woods with her love, but made a point to visit Small Heath whenever she could.

Not many of her family were in Small Heath anymore save for Finn and Michael. Tommy spent a lot of time at his London office and Arthur was dragged back off to the country by Linda. Aunt Polly was finally retired (for good she said) at her house thirty minutes away. Ada of course was still in London, raising Karl with the intent of going to America in one year's time.

Michael would leave with Ada to go to Detroit while she stayed in New York. And Fawnie, she only came to visit Finn and Isiah really, Small Heath still felt like home but it wasn't her home anymore. It was kind of nice how everyone finally escaped Small Heath... The city that raised them into the heathens they were was still the centre of their universe, but it felt different.

Even if the city had claimed so many of their family, Small Heath was strangely beautiful amongst the smoke and stink. Watery Lane felt so different, Tommy had donated an absurd amount of money to the city to renovate the entire street, it was really beautiful now. It felt unreal.

Although Fawnie still hated the city, she grew to love it the more time she spent away with Bonnie. It was hard to sleep at night without the sounds she'd grown used to hearing. Night in the forest was eerily quiet. The occasional chirping of an owl often rustled her awake, Bonnie would sleep through it all.

If anything he would be the one who stayed awake when they stayed in the city. Fawnie would be the one coaxing him back to sleep but in the woods, it was just her and god at night it seemed. Nothing made her feel more naked than looking up at the dark sky beside Bon. Everything felt so small when looking at the sky in the country.

━━━━

It was nearing dark by the time they returned from the city. Fawnie ended up visiting Jeremiah at his service and ran into Isiah. The rest of the day was a blur for her. Bonnie sported a swollen cheek, "Fell into the pole, honest." He swore, Fawn didn't believe it for a second. She knew he would fight for extra cash under the table but he would never admit it out of embarrassment.