26 | I'm You

Fawnie found it strangely easy to fall back into working the books, even if she had been away for quite some time, Finn did a rather good job

Fawnie found it strangely easy to fall back into working the books, even if she had been away for quite some time, Finn did a rather good job. "I double-checked everything, just as you asked." She smiled up at her brother and patted his arm, making sure to look over everything just in case he made any silly mistakes.

"It all seems to be in the right order but I'll have to look harder later, I've got to meet Tommy at the office." She closed the betting book and set it on the desk, "Make sure to lock up when you leave, we can't have a repeat of last year." Finn blushed at Fawnie's reminder of how the den nearly got ransacked due to his carelessness.

As Fawnie made her way out of the den, she turned back to look at Finn once more. "Good job, Finn. I'm proud of ya." She tipped her hat toward him before finally stepping outside. Small Heath wasn't her favorite place in the world, especially considering why her family was back.

━━━━

Thomas was right where he said he'd be. He sat in his office chair with a cigarette between his lips and a glass of whiskey in his hand. On the desk sat another glass, with what Fawnie assumed was gin. "Fawnie," He merely greeted with a tilt of his head, she sat in the seat across from the desk and raised an eyebrow.

"What do you need?"

Her brother cleared his throat and sat up in his seat before stubbing out the cigarette in the ashtray and downing his drink. "I've heard some things," Tommy clasped his hands together on the desk, "quite interesting if I'm bein' honest."

"What kind of things Tom, there are many things going on right now. A bit of clarification wouldn't hurt anybody." Upon hearing Fawnie's already bored tone, Tommy chuckled dryly.

"Something about you... in London, with Bonnie fucking Gold. Walking around dressed like a lad." Her eyes barely widened, it took him nearly three days to find out. If anything, Fawnie was just waiting for Tommy to hear about her trip to London. "I just want to know why you went to London of all places, with all things considered."

There was something in his eyes, like he knew what she was up to. Finding a woman from his past and he didn't even know Fawnie knew of said woman. Fawn shrugged, "Wanted out of this shithole so I had Bonnie go with me." She mimicked her brother's stance and folded her hands together before sitting them on her crossed knee. "I know you go mad when I'm out on my own, so I did as you told me and took a Peaky Boy with me, you never said who I had to go with."

Another dry chuckle as Tommy pointed at the younger woman while smirking, "You've turned out to be quite cheeky, Fawnie. Thought you'd gone mute after what happened."

This time, Fawn felt rage surge through her like Tommy's cigarette smoke through his lungs. "Don't you dare bring John's passing into this shite, he deserves better than to be brought up in a stupid attempt to manipulate me." She stood up, eyes blazing and jaw set tightly, "Tommy, you seem to forget that I'm you and you can't manipulate yourself." Fawn clenched her fists, "Especially not when my head is screwed on straight."

The Shelby siblings mirrored one another as Tom stood up to look down at his sister, "And why's your head screwed on straight so suddenly, Fawnie? Maybe because of some bastard boy who reminds you of simpler times, eh?"

"Bonnie Gold is far from simple, you prick. And to think I believed you were becoming a better person. It seems nothing ever changes with this cursed family." She paused for a moment and cut Tom off before he could speak once more.

"Don't speak to me until you've realized the pain you've caused. I don't care if you saved my fuckin' life. It's not worth living if you're going to make every second hell for me. I took Bonnie with me, because he's kind and nice to me. He respects me, Tommy. Unlike the rest of you lot, lookin' down on me for something I had no control over. But I'm fucking done, Thomas! I want you to bloody know that I won't take your shite anymore!"

━━━━

The photograph felt as though it weighed a million pounds in Fawn's pocket. She carried it with her everywhere she went as a way to remind herself of what she had to do on Friday. There wasn't anything that would stop Fawnie from confronting the woman and asking her what relation she could possibly have with Tommy Shelby.

Fawnie was set on meeting Victoria, even if her brother tried his hardest to stop her.

"Is that Doe!?" She turned around to see Isiah Jesus smiling widely at her with open arms. Fawnie was glad to see Isiah despite it having been a while. "It's been so bloody long since I've last seen you! The hidden gem of the Shelby family."

Once the pair were close enough, Isiah engulfed Fawnie in a bear hug, "It's been so bloody long since you and Finn nearly let me get killed, apparently." He winced at Fawn's words but she just jabbed him in the arm, "It's alright, we all were a bit fucked that night." She enjoyed laughing with Isiah.

"So, a few friends of mine are meeting at The Garrison, wanna join? I'll stay sober enough to watch for any pricks if you want?"

She only took a moment to think about it before nodding in agreement. "Nah, it's alright, I won't be drinkin' any time soon, I need a clear head." Isiah grinned as he slung an arm across her shoulders, "Just don't call me a tart and we'll be dandy."

Isiah shook his head at Fawnie, "Doe, you'll always be a tart, it's better to embrace it!"