43 | Hundred Years Ago

With the vendetta settled, Tommy wanted to have a party

With the vendetta settled, Tommy wanted to have a party. It surprised everyone that he had suggested a special occasion. He told her it was to leave the family with one good memory before everyone departed to live their lives... that included Fawn. But Fawnie wasn't all too ready to see everyone yet. So Bonnie promised to come with her to Arrow House for support.

"I think he's going to tell everyone, Bon... about him bein' my father." Fawnie expressed.

Bonnie tilted his head, "What's so wrong about that?"

"I don't know if I'm ready for them to look at me differently, a full-blooded Shelby but still a bastard at that." There was comfort in riding on horseback to Arrow House. It would take all day to get there, but Bonnie's peaceful presence made the long trip worthwhile.

"They'll love you all the same, little deer..." He paused for a moment, offering a smile when she glanced at him, "If not, I'll still be here for you."

She smiled but rolled her eyes at his corny nature. "Of that, I have no doubt, Mr. Gold."

He gave her a funny look, knowing she was repeating what she had said to him when they first met in Charlie's Yard. Bonnie didn't respond as he shook his head at Fawnie Rose.

"Don't give me that look, you know I live for the drama," She joked.

"You're Tommy Shelby's daughter, believe me, I know." Fawnie moved Dangerous closer to Bonnie's horse and pushed his arm playfully.

━━━━

By the time they made it to Arrow House, it was nearing six in the evening. The sky was beginning to darken and the horses were tired as can be. "Even with the two breaks, they're acting like they're dying," Fawnie said as she brushed Dangerous' back.

"Maybe we're just fat?" Bonnie shrugs his shoulders at the poor joke but Fawnie laughs anyway.

"I don't wanna go in, I'll have to talk to Tommy." She moves to lean her head on Bonnie's chest and he responds by hugging her.

"Perhaps we get cleaned up, didn't my dad say it started at seven?"

She checks her pocket watch, it read 15 to six. "I suppose... do you think Tommy kept my old room in order?"

Bonnie led her toward the house by her hand, "You've only got one room here?"

"It's got a whole bathroom too, it's fucking mad!" She giggled at the thought of how massive Arrow House truly was. They entered through the front door and Fawn felt memories of Christmas right after Tommy and Grace married return to the forefront of her mind. Despite hating Grace, it was still a fun day.

John had done his best to lift Fawnie's spirits. "Come on little sister, smile like you used to!" His voice felt like a faded record in her head but she remembered it tenderly.

"Last time I slept in this house was before John died... feels like a hundred years ago now." She mumbled quietly, narrowly avoiding a maid as she passed. The somber look that had taken over her expression was quickly changed to a neutral one, "But that's... that's over now. We've got to get cleaned up and changed."

Bonnie gave her a sympathetic look. One she knew was telling her that they would leave if she wanted. "I'm alright, just feels weird being back after... everything."

"My room's up here, the same floor as Tommy's because he's a paranoid old man," Bonnie chuckled at Fawn's insult.

"I'm goin' to get lost in here, I hope you know that."

That made Fawnie choke on her laugh, "On Tommy's wedding day, Arthur and John got lost about a million times, I hardly saw 'em that night." There were some good memories in the house, even if most of them included Grace Burgess.

"Seeing you laugh makes me happy, I'm glad you're better." He sat on the corner of her bed, looking around the mostly empty room curiously.

Fawnie stopped sifting through the pack they brought and stood between Bonnie's legs. "You make me laugh, Gold." Her hands rested on his neck and he smiled up at her. "I love you," The pair shared a kiss. But before it could go any further the door was pushed open by none other than Polly Gray.

"What in--" She paused, "I don't want to know, why aren't you ready?"

Even with the red blush on their cheeks, Fawn still gave her aunt a cheeky answer. "We've only just got in, plus it's only family coming, why's it matter if I'm presentable?"

Polly looked down both sides of the hallway then spoke, "Because Thomas has decided now is as good a time as any to let everyone know he's your father... you were right, Fawnie Rose, yet again."

"Bloody hell, what'd I say, Bonnie?" Fawnie groans, "Alright, I'll get ready, go please,"

The older Shelby woman sent a pointed look toward Bonnie, "No shagging in this house, you both hear me?"

Fawnie shook her head, "No shagging Bonnie's dad, then... that's weird anyway." Polly's eyes widened at Fawn's words.

"Since when did your cheeky insults come back, whatever you've done with my niece I expect an explanation, boy." Polly joked before shutting the door firmly. Once gone, Fawnie made sure to lock the door.

"Who needs peace when you have the Shelby family around, eh?" Fawnie discarded her jacket, "You're free to join me or shower on your own," Bon turned upon hearing that, "Oi you're such a boy sometimes!"

AUTHOR'S NOTE.

Not me forgetting I wrote the next three or so chapters and not updating thinking I'd have to write something. On a happier note, Heart of Gold hit 100k reads yesterday and I can't begin to fathom how big of a number that is. I don't know why 50k, 90k even felt so small, but 100,000? Feels fucking massive. Thank you all so much for the support on this story, I've been writing Fawnie for over a year and I feel so connected to her thanks to everyone who has ever commented, voted, and shared their thoughts on the story.

If Fawnie could see how many people root for her on a daily basis, I think she'd fall down and cry. Remember, you're not always gonna be alone, someone or something will come into your life and remind you that it's still worth living. I hope you're all doing well. Please take care and enjoy the rest of the story :)