21 | Bloody Nailbiter

Fawnie Shelby was never one to beat around the bush. But for some reason, she couldn't bring herself to return to Small Heath, so instead, she resided in Ada's large home. James was a welcome distraction as he was kind and easy to talk to. He seemed to understand having an odd family and didn't ever question Fawn why she was around.

"I'm making biscuits, would you like to help?" Fawn looked up from the book in her hands– it was just lying around and she got intrigued so she began reading it –and saw James leaning into the living room, it wasn't odd for him to be baking in his free time, James was excellent at it anyway.

A smile graced the young woman's features as she nodded before following James into the kitchen. He handed her an apron before beginning to explain what kind of biscuits they were making.

━━━━

"My aunt Pol was a bit stingy about letting me help because I used to lick my fingers!" James chuckled at the younger girl as they spoke casually in the kitchen. The biscuits were cooking and they had time to waste. "How'd you and Ada meet anyway? I've always wanted to ask." Fawnie inquired and James smiled at the thought.

"My parents were nosy and didn't like what they found and so they promptly kicked me on my arse onto the streets, I saw Ada's advertisement in the paper and practically begged for a room."

Fawnie smiled despite the bittersweet nature of James' living arrangement, "I bet Ada let you in before you could even beg." James laughed and nodded in agreement, "Thank you for being so kind, James. It's hard to find decent people these days." In Fawn's head the brown-eyed boy she kissed in the woods that night appeared...

She didn't find an ounce of regret and it surprised her. Every single thing that Fawnie has ever done has always come with some bit of regret... but somehow kissing Bonnie Gold was the only thing she found herself not regretting.

"Oh, now I doubt that, you've got that look in your eyes." There was a knowing smirk on his face as he waited for Fawnie to understand his meaning.

James' words made Fawn aware of the slight smile on her lips and her eyes widened, "What- no- I do not-" She stumbled over her words, trying to deny any claims against her.

He put his hands up, "Don't worry, I won't ask about them. I'm not like some people!" For some reason, James shouted the last bit and Fawn didn't know why until Ada walked into the kitchen.

"You know, I ought to start charging you rent, James. The disrespect is just... out of this bloody world." The eldest Shelby sister has a smile on her lips at the sight of her friend and family getting on so well, "Oh my, Fawnie Shelby in the kitchen and it hasn't blown to bits? What magic have you been casting James?" Fawnie rolled her eyes dramatically at Ada's over-exaggeration of Fawn's overall incompetence in the kitchen.