13.

Knock. Knock.

Suman heard the knocks on her door. Busy working in her she said 'come in' and didn't even notice who was there.

"You met my parents."

That's it. That was all for Suman to sweat. She closes the file and kept it aside.

"Yes, I did." She said confidently although she was nervous from inside.

"Why?" He asked keeping both his hands on the table.

"I want to mend things, Shravan. These past 7 years, both the families have lost so much. Yours can be back again, mine can't." She explained.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He asked understanding what she said.

"I wanted to give you surprise on your birthday, but that's perfectly ruined." She said and both of them chuckled.

"I don't want any surprises. I just want you to be with me forever." He said and held her hand.

"Forever." She nodded and kisses his hands.

"Okay, now I have to go." Suman said as she left his hand.

"Where?" He asked as he stood up with her too.

"Temple." She stated and picked up her bag.

"Temple?"

"It's..... Maa's 7 death anniversary." She said and gulped, pushing the tears back.

Shravan understood how much she must be missing her mother and he hugged her.

"You want me to come?" He asked.

"No, I just want to be alone in the temple." She said and Shravan nodded understanding her privacy.

"At least let me drop you." He said.

"No. I will walk. Alone. Because that was the time when I started walking alone on my path." She said.

"But you are not alone anymore." He said and Suman smiled at him.

"Shravan, I am not saying this as your girlfriend. I am saying this as a daughter, as a woman, as a person." She made him understand.

"Okay, but can I come and pick you up?" He asked.

"Yeah, that would be fine." She said and both of them parted their ways.

*******

Maa, it's been 7 years. 7 long and hell of years since you and papa left me. You never talked to me after papa left. Everyone started hating me for running away with Shravan.

Daadu lost his hope in me, you started treating me as if... I was nothing to you. It did hurt, a lot. But I didn't care, I just didn't want to loose you.

I still don't know what actually happened that day. What actually happened that after I came back from the college you were... you were no more.

You talked to me for the first time that day and I was the most happiest person. I thought that everything will be normal again, we live happily again. But who knew that day you will leave me and nothing will be normal again.

I think you knew. You knew that you are going to die, didn't you?

Even doctors couldn't figure out the reason of your death, what kind of death it was maa?

I miss you. Your daughter, who you didn't have trust on till your last breath.

Suman wiped her tears  which flowed uncontrollably and picked up her belongings before calling Shravan to pick her up.

She was waiting outside the temple when she saw a beautiful gajra.

Mom used to wear those.

She remembered and quickly went and bought one, keeping it safe in her purse.

And in few minutes Shravan was there to pick her up. He saw her tear stricken face and puffy eyes.

He got off the bike and went towards her and wrapped her in his warm embrace.

"I love you." He whispered and kissed her forehead.

"I love you. Now let's go." She said and both of them left the place.

"Shravan, why is it dark everywhere?" She asked getting off the bike.

"I don't know." Shravan lied and lead her inside the house. As soon as they stepped inside they heard a loud noise.

"Surprise!"