9.

"It's already 7. What are we going to have for dinner?" Kanchan asked. She told her parents that she will be staying at Malhotra's for tonight.

"Wanna go out?" Shravan suggested.

"Why go out when I am going to cook food for everyone." Suman said as she came down from the room and sat beside Shravan.

"What? Since when did you started cooking?" Shravan asked.

"Do not underestimate Captain Suman Tiwari, she can do anything." Suna said, proud of herself.

"Yeah yeah. So what will you make for dinner?" Kanchan asked before the two of them start arguing.

"Umm--" Before Suman could say anything, Avni's phone started ringing disturbing the conversation.

"Excuse me." Avni said a bit serious. Shravan got concerned for his little sister but decided to give her some space instead of following her.

"Shravan, did you listen what I just said?" Suman asked looking at Shravan who was lost in his thoughts.

"Sorry, what did you say?" He asked clearing his throat.

"I said that I will make chicken butter masala and you guys can order naan from outside." Suman said.

The fact that Shravan was looking a bit worried disturbed her but she decided to talk to him later.

"That sounds good." Shravan said and saw Avni coming back.

"What happened?" Shravan asked his little sister.

"It was Papa. He... He want me to meet him." Avni said and sat on the sofa.

"So? Do you want to meet him?" Shravan asked.

"I don't know. I will think about it." Avni said. To lighten up the mood Kanchan started showing Avni something on her phone, meanwhile Suman went to prepare the dinner and Shravan went in his room to work.

*******

Suman was humming a song while cooking when Avni entered in the kitchen to drink water.

"Wow, looks like someone is very happy today." Avni said leaning on the kitchen slab beside her.

"Yes. I am happy after a very long time." Suman said and smiled looking at her.

"You know Avni, when my father died I saw how my family started breaking apart." Suman said and Avni listened to her carefully.

"I lost everyone I loved that day. My father, my mentor, my grandfather, my mother, my best friend and every single person." Suman said.

"What do you mean? Anjali aunty and daadu was alive that time." Avni was confused.

"Yes, they were. But, they didn't consider me as their own child anymore. Maa stopped being cheerful as she always was. Daadu never talked to me after that day because I ran away with your brother. Beena chachi started hating me too after that. Ramesh chachu never did and neither did Kancha hated me." Suman said and continued.

"6 months later Maa also passed away and three years later Daadu too." Suman said.

"I am so sorry--" Avni tried to show sympathy but Suman cutted her in between.

"I am not telling you this story to gain sympathy from you. I am telling you this because I want you to know that you are lucky."

"How?" Avni asked confused.

"You are lucky in a different way. At least you have both of your parents alive, you are being loved by everyone. So... I want you to go and meet your father. You are making him loose his daughter. I have lost my father, believe me I know this feeling called guilt sucks." Suman said and chuckled at the last word.

"Thank you." Avni said and smiled at her.

"No problem. I am just trying to help you." Suman said and focused on cooking.

"I am going to meet Papa, let me just inform him." Avni said and went out from the kitchen.

The moment Avni left, Suman took a deep breath and this time she started singing.

Hum tum kitane paas hai
kitane duur hain chaand sitaare
Sach poochho to maan ko jhoothe lagate hain yeh saare

Her voice quivered in the end as she remembered how her father used to sing this song for her mother and how she would continue singing with him.

It was their favorite song.

Hum tum kitane paas hai
kitane duur hain chaand sitaare
Sach poochho to maan ko jhoothe lagate hain yeh saare

She heard Shravan continuing the song while he stood at the entrance of the kitchen. She smiled at him and he came inside standing beside her.

"Thank you." He said.

"For what?" She asked confused.

"For making Avni understand." He said.

"You heard?"

"Yes." He said and both of them smiled.

"That was nothing. I am just trying that a daughter should not stay away from father's love." Suman said and Shravan side hugged her.

"I love you." He said and Suman smiled.

"Good. I love you too." She said and both of them smiled at each other.