Chapter Thirty-Six

He was gone.

---

Jeongin stirred, eyes slowly opening.

Was he dead?

Was this the afterlife?

The only thing he saw was a white ceiling and-

"Jeongin? You're awake! Oh my god."

Jeongin turned his head to see the source of the voice.

Chan.

Alive and well.

Jeongin stared at Chan. How was Chan alive? He got killed right in front of him.

Right?

Jeongin opened his mouth to speak, voice coming out really groggy and rough as if he hasn't spoken in ages. "Wh-where am I?"

Chan grabbed Jeongin's hand with his own. "The hospital."

Jeongin furrowed his eyebrows, his thoughts being unintentionally voiced. "The hospital? Did I... survive the lethal injection...?"

Chan looked confused. "Lethal injection? What...? No, no, you were in a coma."

Jeongin looked away from Chan and back to the ceiling. "C-coma? What? For how long?"

Chan let out a small chuckle. "It's been seven months-"

"Seven months?"

That was around the same time he spent in the new reality.

"Yeah, seven months."

Jeongin looked back to Chan, who had some sort of comforting look on his face. "How... how did I get into a coma?"

Chan sighed, his shoulders dropping slightly. "We got into a car accident after a party."

Jeongin furrowed his eyebrows once again. Where did that sound familiar?

Hold up.

Those weird dreams.

"H-how'd we get into the accident?"

Chan looked away, a slightly dark look on his face. "B-because of... intoxication, our car swerved into one of the houses on the side of the road."

Jeongin then realized something. 

Those weren't dreams.

They were memories.

"...wow."

Jeongin now had some more questions. Was he in his old reality now? "H-hyung? Can I ask you some th-things?"

Chan squeezed Jeongin's hand comfortingly. "Uh, sure, Innie."

Jeongin felt his face heat up slightly from the nickname. "Are you... you my b-boyfriend?"

Chan raised an eyebrow, letting out a small chuckle. "Uh, yeah. Still am."

Could it be?

"Wha... Felix hyung and Jisung hyung?"

Chan didn't look any less confused, but a smile grazed his face. "They're still here(?) They were actually going to visit you today."

Jeongin felt his hope start to ignite. "I-Is this... really real?"

"Uh, I'm pretty sure it is."

Jeongin stared at Chan, feeling his heart swell. It was his boyfriend. He was back.

His life was back.

His nightmare was finally over.

Jeongin stared into Chan's warm eyes, feeling himself get lost in them. A smile subconsciously found itself onto his face.

He didn't think that he would ever feel this feeling again.

Love.

Chan waited for him through all this time, as Jeongin fought through his own struggles. 

Jeongin waited for this day since his nightmare started.

Without thinking, Jeongin let some pretty bold words come out of his mouth. "Kiss me."

Chan chuckled. "As you wish."

Chan leaned down and connected their lips.

As soon as their lips touched, Jeongin felt sparks fly. He hasn't felt this feeling in ages. After months of having everything go against him, having one thing, even though small, go his way made him feel happy.

Jeongin let out a small whimper as Chan pulled away, causing the older to chuckle again. Chan patted Jeongin's shoulder. "I'll go call the nurse. Technically, I was supposed to as soon as you woke up, but... yeah."

Jeongin smiled. "Okay. Love you."

Chan got up and walked towards the door, looking back comfortingly as he exited. "Love you too."

---

you did it, jeongin.

you're finally free.

remember what i told you, because you need it

congratulations

don't forget

-your consciousness

A/N whoa, finally the jeongchan you all came for. ;) hope you all enjoyed!

and yes, pretty much all of you that made theories thought that he was in a coma (which was correct) so like, was my plot really that easy to see through? but idk since all of you got the coma part right, but none of you got the exact reason why this happened. do any of you understand it now, or is it still unclear? just lmk, i want to know how to improve as a writer (please)

also, since this is coming to an end, do you guys want me to do q and a? i haven't done one since Split and i have a lot of active and interesting readers here and i just want to see if yall are curious more about your local dumb cringe author nickel (aka me lmao) leave a comment if you'd be interested in asking me a question!

aight have a good day!

unedited