7 | 𝐻𝑜𝓃𝑔 𝒦𝑜𝓃𝑔

Sophia's POV

I was in my English class, sitting next to Natalie, who was surprisingly enough not sleeping. But then I remembered that the teacher has already given her two warnings. Mr. Sandberg told her that if she dozed off again, she could do that in the principal's office.

I couldn't help but let a giggle escape as I watched her glare at Mr. Sandberg's back. I believe that she doesn't like him very much, I told myself ironically, a toothy grin on my face.

Natalie turned to her right to stare at me, wide-eyed. "You're really having this, aren't you?" she said, eyebrows raised. I nodded a little, just enough for her to see.

She shook her head. "And I thought you were the nice one here," she mumbled. 

I gasped softly. "I am nice. At least I think I am..." I whispered the last part a bit more with sass.

She playfully rolled her eyes and muttered a small 'sure' before turning her sharp gaze back to poor Mr. Sandberg's direction. 

There were only a few minutes left of the lesson, so I put away my notes, when the teacher told us we were finished for the day. We weren't permitted to leave the room yet, so me and Natalie just talked.

Her head was on the table when she told me she and her friends were going to a near café for lunch. "Do you wanna come with?" she asked.

I looked up, astonished. "What?" I stuttered stupidly. She didn't repeat herself, but just lifted her head and stared at me, perhaps waiting for some kind of response.

"Oh...uh no, that's fine. Thank you though," I said then.

"I know what you're thinking, Sophia, and you're not going to be a burden," she laughed, laying her head back down. We've only known each other for three days and she already knows what I'm thinking. Or maybe I'm just that predictable. Yeah, definitely that.   

I laughed nervously, clearing my throat. "Oh well, I shouldn't go anyways. My parents don't want me leaving school." It's true, they think it's bad for my safety. When I say I have strict parents, I mean it.

She hummed in reply, not looking troubled at all, more like extremely tired. "Did you sleep last night?" I asked. She always appears so exhausted, I wonder if something was off at home.

She snorted. "Who actually does sleep in high school," she answered, it wasn't a question. I didn't really comprehend her, or anyone at this school. I mean, I slept at least eight hours every night. I shrugged it off though.

-

By now it was lunch and I followed Natalie to the school exit. There she waited on her friends while I stood beside her. Where am I going to sit? I thought to myself, beginning to freak out. I'm gonna be all alone and people will be watching me and laughing.

"You know it's not too late to come with us," one of Natalie's friends encouraged me. She was looking at me with a spark in her eyes and seemed exceedingly kind.

"I really want to, but I can't." I added a quick 'but thanks' with an awkward smile and looked away. I never was good at keeping eye contact.

"'Kay, we'll be going now," another one said. I might be oblivious sometimes, but I immediately saw how she looked at me, with sudden detestation. I never knew why, I still don't and possibly won't ever.

But that's life. Don't try to make everyone like you, you don't even like everyone, I told myself the quote I've been repeating in my head for over two years now.