38 | 𝓔𝓼𝓬𝓪𝓹𝓮

Sophia's POV 

It's been quite some time since anything's happened, since we heard something. The silence crawled at my flesh and I so desperately wanted to break it, but I couldn't. We had to keep quiet. 

Currently, me and Bella were in an empty classroom, sitting in the back on the ground. The lights were off, just like in the rest off the building. I was cleaning her wounds, the scratches she got from being tied with ropes. 

Luckily, we were in my science room now, so there was a sink with sanitary water here. I let only a thin stream of water run from it though, not wanting people outside to hear it. After I was finished, Bella got up and drank from the water, a lot. She must've been exceptionally thirsty, because she didn't let one drop go to waste. 

While being stuck here, I took it to my advantage and washed my face as well, the refreshing feeling of cold water against my hot skin made me sigh.

"How much longer?" asked Bella, not facing me as she slumped back down to the floor. Her voice was raspy, but it sounded way better than before when her words came out as croaks. I fished out my phone, and just then, Grayson sent me a text. He updated us on their search for unlocked doors, and fortunately, it was good news. 

"Not long." A smile emerged on my face and beckoned Bella towards me. "They found an exit," I stated proudly. Her face lit up in temporary optimism. 

We stood by the door on each side - the middle part of the door was made out of glass - and she waited for my signal. "Okay, so we need to go to the entrance next to the bathroom, but we have to be careful," I explained. 

She nodded. "At least it's not that far, right," she questioned in a rhetorical manner. I smiled again softly. 

Once I looked through the little window in the door and saw no one in this hallway, I decided to make my move. I slowly turned the doorknob and cringed when it creaked.     

I stepped out of our hiding spot and instantly regretted it as a gush of cool wind hit me, I shuddered. We have to, I remind myself, we can't hide in there until they find us. 

Bella followed me when I gave her an indication with my hand that it was clear. She closed the door behind her and we subsequently started tiptoeing through the long, uncanny corridors. 

Everything was going alright, just the way we planned, but that stopped when the sound of a door clicking open resonated around. Me and Bella looked at each other with pure fear in both our eyes, before she pulled me with her behind the lockers. 

I put my hand over my mouth to stop myself from whimpering as footsteps could be heard. This wasn't Cassius, I could tell by the pace and firmness behind them. Logan, I thought. I still couldn't believe he wasn't on our side. My first ever friend in this town...

A 'click' made me pull myself out of my daze. I risked glancing around the lockers to see if he was still there. No.

Me and Bella's hands were still glued together, not one of us letting go as if we were going to lose one another if we did. We came from behind our spot and started prowling forward again, however when we were close to the room Logan was presumingly in, we had to duck so that he wouldn't see us through the door. 

As we made it past without being witnessed, jubilance flowed through my body. But that victorious feeling didn't last long as a gun clocking made my blood run cold. Bella's hand in mine stiffened as well. 

I spun around so fast I was surprised I didn't get whiplash. There he was, a gun in his hand and eyes glaring right into mine. 

The silence wasn't going to be broken if it wasn't for the noise of demur that slipped past Bella's lips. She was shaking her head at me unobtrusively, telling me she didn't want to be here, not near Logan. I suddenly remembered how we got here in the first place as if I almost forgot. Logan is the reason. Well, Cassius made him do it, but still.