4 | 𝒫𝒶𝓎 𝒜𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓃𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃

Sophia's POV

So, I was just drawing on the cover of my biology book, not really paying attention to my surroundings, when two hands slammed down on the table. Startled, I looked up to find myself staring wide-eyed and with a slightly opened mouth at a boy about my age, maybe a bit older. He was fairly good-looking, not extraordinary though. But I didn't know why he was here; I didn't even know who he was.

"Hey. You're new here, right?" the boy asked, sitting down in the seat next to me. Why was he speaking to me? I kept on thinking.

"Hi, and...yeah," I answered slowly, feeling quite shy as I saw all of his friends looking over in our direction. He hummed at my response and smirked for whatever reason.

"So, uh, how old are you," he asked me, the smirk still visible on his face. Why was he asking me all those questions? Maybe, just maybe, he wanted to become friends.

"Sixteen," I said, and to make more conversation I added, "What about you?" He raised his eyebrows, looking very smug all of a sudden. "Sixteen, huh?" he repeated. I nodded.

"Seventeen." Seventeen, only a few months older since I'm turning that same age in a couple of days.

"Let me guess, your name starts with an 'S' and ends with 'ophia'?" he questioned, I furrowed my eyebrows together. How did he know that? Maybe he's a magician. Yeah, probably that...

"How did you know?" I asked skeptically. I mean, magicians exist, but still, he behaved a bit odd if you ask me.

"Oh, well you are the talk of the school at the moment." He said it like it was obvious. I frowned, not knowing how to react to that. Was I still the talk of the school? I thought I was old news, well I more like wished I were old news...                                                                                                   
I made an 'o' form with my mouth in understanding nonetheless.  

"So, you free today after school?" he asked me. Was he...asking me out? What do I say? I don't really know him that well, but he seemed alright, I guess. 

Gosh, Sophia, for once just be brave! I argued with myself.

"Okay, sure. I just need to check with my parents—" I started but got interrupted by an angelic voice that I secretly missed.

"No," came his short interjection. The both of us turned around to look at Grayson entering the room, he wasn't even looking at either of us. How did he hear us? Was he even talking to us?

I looked at the boy whose name I didn't even know yet, he was looking at Grayson with displeasure. He cleared his throat and started speaking again, as if Grayson weren't there. "So, Sophia, was that a 'yes'?"

"Um, yeah, I just need my parents' permission—" He interrupted me yet again, by shaking his head, still not making eye contact with me. 

"Didn't you hear me? No," he said impassively. If I had to be honest, it kind of scared me, he was so unpredictable, you wouldn't be able to tell when he'd explode. 

"Well, I think it's her choice if she wants to go or not," he challenged. You could hear the irritation in his voice as he made no effort to hide it.

Grayson finally looked up and gave a frightening glare in the boy's direction. You could see the twinge of fear the boy had in his eyes, but he didn't back down. Perhaps trying to impress his friends that were still watching intently.