31

I stood up and walked back and forth through my room, "No, no, no, I don't understand I thought—"

I took a halt and sighed, "I thought he's with–"

"ARGH, no. Just — stop thinking about it. Tomorrow is an important day, and I cannot waste another moment thinking about him."

I looked myself at the mirror, and felt the eagerness take over me. I groaned as I jump on my bed.

"Goddamit, Leo."

I couldn't sleep much as I needed to have last night, resulting me to become sloppy the next morning, which probably is the most important day of my life yet.

Struggling to put on my shoes, I blankly looked at the rack to find something that are easier to put, only to see the box of letters once again.

"No, shut up," I whispered.

I arrived a few minutes early which really is a suprise for how slow the bus was going earlier, but I managed to reach for my breath. The room was very uncomfortable for how cold the temperature was in here. Spiraling like I always do when it comes to exams, I looked by my phone and saw my friends names. I smiled as I saw them wish me luck, I scrolled a bit and saw a text message from Leo.

Leo
i know you hate me right now, but i just wanna say goodluck. actually u dont need it, because of how smart you are. anyway, im glad you're finally used to taking the bus. tho it bums me out that we dont get to be together anymore like old times.

It really made me happy, if I'm being honest. But I cannot find the words to reply. I placed my phone down my by lap and took a deep sigh.

"You have one hour per subject, no reference books, no crib sheets, no unauthorized breaks, and no talking. Est-ce que je suis clair?"

"Oui, Monsieur," calls every student by the room.

Looking directly to the inch thick papers, I tapped my pen continuously as silent as I could.

The moderator looked at his clock, as he lifts his head, silence lingering the room. I could hear everyone's nervousness.

"Start!"

Moments have passed and the moderator are now collecting the papers, to be completely honest, it was much difficult than what had I expected. Looking at the ground while reaching my hand out to give the papers, I could not help but to be anxious even now that the exams are done.

Still rethinking the papers, I was dumbfounded while walking past down the stairs waiting for the bus. Where did I go wrong?

"Figured you could use a ride."

I lifted my head from the ground and squinted.

I took a sigh, "I don't."

"It's okay, Lottie. We don't have to talk about it," he said.

I blinked, "Do you really mean that?"

He then nods, "I do. I mean—today is a big day, and I know you well that you need someone to talk to about the exams."

I gently smiled, as I took a deep breath.

"I mean why are the majority of it was all about graphs and stupid functions?! I am going to be an author for Pete's sake."

"That's the fourth time you have said that in this ride," he says.

"And don't even get me started on the—"

"Stupid analogies they used, yes," he replies.

"Maxwell my ass!" I exclaimed.

"Lottie," he chuckles. "It's gonna be fine. I bet everything that you got in."

Comforted by what he said, I fell silent, as a notification from my phone rings.

"It's an email from the university," I muttered.

Sorbonne Université

Congratulations! Thank you for completing the final requirement needed for the college enrollment years 2019-2023. Results will be expected a week after the written examination. Students are anticipated to settle in Paris, who are also given seven days of preparation.

With that, we reach our utmost thanks to everyone who participated. Best of luck.

Yours Sincerely,
Abrielle Benoit, Ph.D

A week has passed, everyone is at the living room, patiently waiting for me to become mentally prepared to open the email.

I was actually the only one who is blocking their curiosity if I had got in or not.

"Come on, Morris, it's been almost an hour when are you going to open this?" Dwyneth exclaims while I walk back and forth.

My mom then joins, "We're here for you no matter what happens."

I took a stop from my walking, "What if — what if I didn't get in? I mean it's the only university I've applied."

"That's on you," Danny says which made me worry even more. "God, of course you got in, now let's open it!"

Amara sips her water, "Is it bad I'm nervous too?"

"Maybe I'll just never open it!" I called. "That way, I'll never be rejected."

Dwyneth stands up, annoyed, "You have to open it! You only have a week to prepare before Pari—"

"There. I opened it. You got in, Lottie."

We all shifted our heads to him by the kitchen table.

My heart beating as loud as it could, I continued, "Did I hear you correctly?"

He sips on his coffee as he replies, "Yeah, look, it says, we are pleased to inform you that you got in to Sorbonne University, blah blah blah. You're going to Paris."

The room filled with silence, I looked at everyone until I landed my eyes on my mom, as she nods slowly.

"I GOT IN!!!"

Everyone legitimately screamed, except for Leo, who has now the most precious smile.

As we hug each other, of course, it was a bit awkward for Leo and I.

He chuckles, "Congratulations. Can I say I told you so?"

"I still stand by my case, Math is certainly not fun."