9

"Oh hey, Leo how you doin'?" Jayson says as Leo stands up, doing their handshake that lasted for 3 seconds. It's a cool handshake to be honest.

"Not much." he laughed.

"Hey, mind if I sit?" Jayson smiled at me pointing the seat at my left.

"No, go ahead!" I answered.

"So how you liking Griffiths High so far?" Jayson asked taking a bite of his pizza.

"Well, I'm still adjusting to the new environment, though my old school definitely has better sandwich choices." I took a sip of my coca-cola as Jayson laughs.

Ah dammit Leo drank from this can.

"What's the matter, Giselle?" Leo mocks me as he noticed my reaction.

I was about to say something until the bell rang.

"Hey, I'll see you later, Giselle." Jayson smiles and I waved goodbye at him.

As I was walking to my English classroom I noticed Leo is following me.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"What do you mean? English's next."

"Oh, so we have the same class."

"Yeah looks like it. Anyway, Giselle don't worry about them, really. They are not going to do anything to you," he looks at me.

"I won't let it happen." he added.

"What?"

"Well, for the past 2 days I noticed how fragile you are."

"Excuse me?" I scoffed.

"And your mom asked me to look after you. It's fun actually, it's like having a younger sister," he said as he walks inside the classroom.

I'm not fragile. And, younger sister?

I walked inside and sat on the third row. A few minutes have passed and I'm starting to get bored to be honest.

"..as one of his works, The Rape of Lucrece, what do you think of the conflicts? State your opinion, Miss Miller." Miss Davis said looking at Priya.

So that's her last name? Huh. Miller. Priya Miller.

"Uh, well. Lucrece.. was, raped. And.. it– it's, uh. It was, bad. I mean really bad." Priya stuttered, struggling as she tries to find her words.

"And so is your answer. Uh, how about you, Miss Morris?" she drove her attention to me as the class laughed a little at Priya's answer.

I stood up from my seat. My heart was beating so fast. The Rape of Lucrece. I've read this book. Think, Giselle, think.

"Well, uh.. I—um,"

"I-I think the most impressive quality in this book.. i-is that Shakespeare used three consecutive stages. Uh, first is the introduction, whereas showing us the connection between Tarquin and Lucrece. Second, is Tarquin's turmoil regarding what he's about to do. And the third, showing us the dialogue between Tarquin and Lucrece prior to the rape," I answered, gaining more confidence as I continue to speak.
"Any story that deals with a subject matter as dark as rape is uncomfortable and controversial for some people, but I truly think Mister William Shakespeare handled it vigorously," I took a deep breath as I released the last sentence from my answer.

Miss Davis gave out a broad smile, "Well done! Very good, Miss Morris. We have a gem, class," she says.

I was a little embarassed but I calmed myself and sat. Everyone's looking at me, as well as Leo.