Chapter 15 ❁ Hurt

Song of the chapter: Arcade- Duncan Laurence

Sometimes I find it easiest to stay silent but this time I didn't have a choice. I would have loved to scream and lecture Draco but no words or sounds found their way out of my mouth. The silence was excruciating.

I really liked him. More than was healthy, that's for sure. At the same time he was trying to hurt someone who was as close to family as I'd ever gotten.

"So you're a Death Eater then?" I sounded out each word, being careful not to stumble. It seemed stupid, me asking him a question I already knew the answer to, but I couldn't help it. My brain refused to register the fact he was a murderer.

Draco began to cry, not even caring that he wasn't alone.

Whatever made me say what I did in the next few moments was fleeting, but it could have saved my life.

"I don't care."

Draco looked up, tears making his cheeks streaked.

"What do you mean?" He hiccuped.

"I mean I don't really care that you're a Death Eater as long as it wasn't your choice to be one," I told him stoically.

He looked more confused than I'd ever seen him before. 

"I don't even see why it concerns me. It's not as if you had some moral obligation to tell me when you don't even bother to talk to me about anything else. Honestly I think you were pretty stupid to tell me about it. I could go off and tell everyone else and you could be locked up in Azkaban," I paused. "I won't of course but it doesn't change the fact that I could."

"You don't care?" he asked quietly.

"No. But I'll have to warn Dumbledore you know."

"He already knows," Draco whispered. His whole face was contorted in pain.

I sighed loudly and Draco met my gaze.

"Why don't you care?" he asked.

"Because Draco," I sneered. "We are not in love, we are not dating and I don't even remotely like you so I really don't give a fuck who you choose to be loyal to or whatever other creepy bond you and Voldemort have."

I spun on my heel to leave the room, feeling a bit more powerful but a lot more broken.

Just as I crossed the threshold Draco muttered something so quietly I barely heard it.

"I was forced into it. Just in case that changes things for you."

I paused and my heart shattered. I wondered who had forced a mere child to be a part of Voldemort's following. But my mind forced itself back onto Dumbledore's wrinkled old face and it didn't matter. Draco was trying to kill him. I couldn't be friends, let alone what I wanted to be, with him anymore.

"Goodbye Draco," I said, determined to make it back to the common room before curfew.

I didn't make it back though. The teachers began to walk the corridors checking for students out of bed. This made it extremely hard to sneak down to the portrait hole. I thought about confronting one of the nicer teachers and telling them what happened but I knew I wouldn't be able to rat Draco out even in my wildest dreams.

It was almost midnight now and the halls were becoming darker and more ominous. I was three stories above the dungeons where I should have been and the chances of me making it there at all seemed slim to none. However, the chances of me making it to some other common room, like the Ravenclaw one, seemed much better. I sighed and headed in that direction, taking care that my feet didn't tap the stone steps too loudly.