Chapter 19 ❁ Parental Units

Song of the chapter: Three- Sleeping At Last

"Draco," I murmured. My fingers twirled around a stray lock of his hair as he opened his eyes to the brightness of the train car.

"Are we there yet?" his voice was hoarse and gravely the way it was each morning.

"We've just pulled into the station. Are you ready to do this?" I asked, a bit nervously.

"I am if you are. I'm sorry I fell asleep darling," the way his tongue rolled over the name he'd called me sent shivers up my spine. "I meant to stay awake and let you sleep."

"I slept for a little while remember? It's not a big deal anyway, I've noticed you haven't been sleeping well."

His cheeks flushed.

"Bad dreams?" I asked.

"Always," he whispered.

As if he realized what he'd told me he stood up quickly and brushed his black suit off, making sure there weren't many wrinkles.

I'd only seen him this worked up very few times. I could tell his parents were giving him a minor panic attack and although I wanted to help, I wasn't sure if there was anything I could do.

"Draco," I spoke softly, as if he were something that would run away if I raised my voice above a whisper.

"Angel," he replied in the same tone.

"We're going to do this. And we are going to be just fine."

He nodded, although his face was pale and his breathing unsteady. I entwined our fingers and pulled my trunk down with my free hand as the train pulled to a stop.

When the conductor pulled the last set of train car doors open, Draco and I stepped out into the fresh air. It smelled of rain and the cold, of London.

"Are your parents meeting us here?" I asked as we walked towards the brick arch that would send us back out into the muggle world.

He flushed again. "No. No they never come to the station. I've learned to drive though and I thought I could rent a muggle vehicle, it gives us more time alone than apparating does."

I smiled widely, the thought of Draco pretending to be a muggle made me laugh.

"That sounds perfect."

Within the hour Draco had rented a car, and a very fancy one at that. We had put our trunks in the back and climbed into the two front seats. I hadn't touched a car in years, much less been inside one.

He pulled out of the parking lot and gripped my hand, pulling it onto the divider in between our seats. There was something funny about seeing a boy you'd always thought to be a muggle hater, using their mode of transportation.

"I wouldn't have pegged you as a driver. I thought you hated muggles and their silly inventions."

He sighed. "I don't hate muggles. My family hates muggles. It's simply how I was raised."

I squeezed his hand and he traced circles into my skin.

"We could live like this Draco. What you said about giving up your following to the dark lord- we could do it. We could become muggles, blend in you know?"

His eyes became downcast and sad looking but he smiled nonetheless.

"We could get married in a small church. Without anyone who would tell. Then we could move far enough away that the dark lord couldn't find us. Switzerland would be nice, or Spain. I think you'd like the snow in Switzerland my darling."