Chapter 28 ❁ Relinquish

Song of the chapter: Happiest year- Jaymes Young

Two days until the end of the world.

At least for me.

"Expelliarmus!" I yelled.

Harry's wand went flying across the room in a flash of blindingly bright red light. I smiled.

"You've got that one perfect! What about the protection spell I taught you?" he asked.

"Salvio hexia!" I called when he shot a hex at me. It was blocked to the fullest extent but made me tired to perform.

"Can we finish for today?" I asked hopefully.

Harry had been helping me learn spells I might need, I'd taken to it well and it seemed a pity not to use my knowledge.

He nodded and came to sit next to me.

"What's the other protection spell?" he asked, always quizzing me.

"Protego," I replied, my wand let out a burst of color that made Harry and me both jump. "Sorry," I muttered. He chuckled, shaking his head.

"You did well today," he told me.

And that was it. I knew this was my last chance to fix everything before I left for my death.

"I'm going to miss you," I whispered.

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I raised my wand.

"Obliviate," I said, watching his eyes close. I hid behind a bookshelf while my spell worked its effects, waiting to see his eyes open again.

When they did he looked around in utter confusion as if wondering how in the world he had come to be in the room of requirement.

No tears slipped from my eyes, I'd taken his memories of me (not that there were many) but left the ones that wouldn't hurt him when I died. He'd never know I even existed.

Now for everyone else.

The rest of the day was horrific. By nightfall nobody but three people remembered me. Daphne, Dumbledore and Draco. All those who I loved beyond measure.

I went to Daph first.

"Daphne," I whispered at her, she turned her head and smiled at me from her place by the fire. "Daph would you come with me for a minute?"

She nodded and followed me without even a little bit of apprehension.

"Daphne I need to- I need to explain before I do this," I told her. She looked confused but gestured for me to continue.

"You've been the best friend I've ever had. Ever. But I can't stay here anymore and I think it would be best if you didn't remember me, you know- for your mental health and everything I guess."

"What are you talking about Eve?" she asked, beginning to worry for me.

"I'm sorry," I cried, tears pouring out from my eyes. "Obliviate."

And I ran.

When she walked back into the common room she looked happy, normal. No miserable life that I called my own had ever touched her stunning presence.

I wiped away the tears and made my way to Dumbledore's office, knowing this one would be even harder.

"Chocolate Frogs," I said to the gargoyle. It spun around, revealing a staircase that led up into Dumbledore's office.

"Dumbledore?" I called, trying to hide the shake in my voice.

"Here to say goodbye Eve?" he asked.