Chapter 21 ❁ Claws

Song of the chapter: Runaway- AURORA

As it turns out I'd been correct about the Dark Mark. I wasn't the only guest staying at Malfoy Manor for the holidays. There was also a werewolf by the name Fenrir Greyback. I asked Draco about him and all I got was some information pertaining mostly to the fact that he was, and still is, an avid supporter of Voldemort. I also picked up the hints that he found brutally murdering kids to be more satisfying than murdering adults. Why, I wasn't sure.

Draco almost threw something at his father, although refrained because he was sure to get a beating if he gave into his urges, when he found out. There was quite a bit of yelling and Narcissa began to cry.

I stood in the corner awkwardly and watched. I was positive stepping into a fight like this wouldn't be a good idea.

Finally, by around midnight the next day, everyone had calmed down, although Draco was still seething inwardly.

"I'm so sorry Angel," he muttered angrily to me.

"It's fine. Really!" I'd been trying to convince him that I was okay for hours but it was to no avail because he seemed to be personally offended by his parents decision.

I will admit it didn't make me too festive either.

He rolled his eyes at me. "It's not a crime to be scared you know."

"I know. But really, if Voldemort," he flinched," Wants me alive then I'm sure his supporters know that too and have some sort of creepy pact not to kill me yet."

I tried to sound upbeat but succeeded only in making Draco roll his eyes yet again.

"Let's go outside Draco. You can show me the gardens now," I said pleadingly.

"It's midnight," Draco observed as if I didn't already know.

"I'm aware. But we could make midnight strolls through random rose gardens our tradition!"

He smiled and wrapped me up in a hug.

"You're going to be freezing Angel, there's snow everywhere. You should run upstairs and get a jacket."

"I'm alright. Let's just go," I pressured. I was itching to get outside after being cooped up all day. If I was cold I'd suffer through it.

This was quite a stupid idea, I soon found. I shivered until my teeth clattered together.

I tried to hide it from Draco but he just scowled and took off his jacket.

"I told you to bring a fucking jacket Angel. I love you but you're a bloody idiot," he snarled while wrapping me in his warm overcoat.

"You shouldn't give away your jacket Draco," I told him through laughs. 

"Your lips are blue and I don't get cold."

I scoffed at the idea that someone could walk through snow and not be cold but he proved it to me ten minutes later when he was still acting like a walking space-heater.

"How in the world?" I asked suspiciously.

"I knew you were going to be cold, I put a charm on myself." 

He smiled wickedly and I was oddly touched by his planning.

"Here we are," he gestured to an unfenced area that was full of snow and rose bushes. The roses were so white I wasn't even sure I would have seen them in the snow if it weren't for the green leaves here and there.

"My family calls them winter roses because they make it through the freezing cold every year," he said this in a reminiscent tone that made me smile.