Chapter 22 ❁ Attacker

Song of the chapter: Two- Sleeping at Last

Truthfully- I hated the fact that Draco needed to save me. I was perfect competent but I was grateful he was there anyway. 

He had his hand around me arm, gently pulling me along down the hall after saving me from the two Death Eaters.

It wasn't until we were back in his bedroom that I noticed his cheeks were wet with tears.

"Draco!" I exclaimed, turning myself towards him and wiping the wet streaks off of his face. "What's wrong?"

He shook his head, begging me not to ask. But I couldn't have that.

I didn't have the chance to persuade him to tell me because only seconds after he sat on the edge of his bed he broke out into sobs. His breathing came in so fast I wasn't even sure he exhaled at all.

"I'm dying," he breathed, his eyes wide with fear.

"What?" I asked, terrified at his sudden outburst.

"I can't breath. I can't- I can't breath," he was practically screaming.

Was there anything I knew about panic attacks that would help him? I'd had very few in my life and all of them had only stopped because I'd let them fade out with time. I didn't think this one would stop anytime soon so I searched my brain for any kind of consolation I could give.

"Draco," I said quickly, trying not to panic.

I put my hand over his heart and moved him until his back was resting against the headboard of his bed.

"Take a deep breath, okay? Just focus on your breathing."

I wasn't sure if this was the right thing to say but I had to try something. It didn't help, he was trembling, eyes wide, mouth open pulling in all the air around him but barely getting enough.

Hours seemed to pass in a matter of seconds, a feeling that I can most accurately describe as having the wind knocked out of you.

Finally, after minutes of panic and pain; pain, for he'd pinched his wrist so hard it drew blood, I did the one thing I hadn't thought to try. I curled myself into his arms and took both of his hands in mine, holding them steady, praying this would work.

"Tell me what's happening," I whispered after a few minutes.

"I d-don't want you to get h-hurt," he said in between sharp breaths.

I sat up to look at him.

"I'm okay! I'm okay see?" I tried to convince him.

His tears poured faster out of his eyes, his breathing, which had slowed considerably in the past minutes, becoming faster yet again.

"You might not have been."

"Draco, hey. Hey look everything is okay."

But he was loosing himself again. His whole body shook with sobs and I froze.

I suck at this.

Maybe there was a spell? I thought back to all the afternoons spent in charms classes but nothing came to mind.

Could there possibly be some type of potion?  But I shook this thought out of my mind quickly, I wouldn't have enough time to make one, Draco was about to combust in front of me.

What do muggles do?

Then something hit me.

I took a deep breath and tried to remember my mother comforting my father one late evening.