Chapter 9 ❁ Anticipation

Song of the chapter: Pity Party- Melanie Martinez

Draco had questioned me endlessly when I returned but Millicent had bewitched the bags of clothes to fly up into the girls dormitories under an invisible spell so I was able to get away with saying we'd just gone for drinks.

Pansy seemed very annoyed as well, though she didn't even try to hide it. She spent the evening stomping around the common room and throwing us dirty looks.

A few weeks later Halloween was here. The castle was decked out with jack'o-lanterns and the Hogwarts ghosts sung songs of monsters from far away lands. I couldn't tell if the songs were about real things or not but chose not to worry myself with it.

Blaise had asked Daphne to the party with her and she'd nervously replied with, "Well I'll definitely be there. And uh- you will to so then I guess we're going together. I mean that's not- that's not what I mean. I just mean. Sure yeah."

Millicent was waiting on Theodore Nott who so obviously liked her but was a bit too scared to confront her.

"I think you should just ask him yourself," I told her one day as she fretted over it.

"I can't!" she whined. "If you think it's easy you should go ask Malfoy!" she teased.

I rolled my eyes but smiled internally. "I have no interest in going to this dance with him or anybody else."

Millicent laughed at me knowingly but didn't tease anymore. 

The day before Halloween was spent mostly in preparation. I had taken it upon myself to get orange and black streamers for the common room.

I stood on the leather couch, wand in hand, trying to get the tape to stick on the ceiling when I lifted the streamers using the levitation spell.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" I said over and over.

"Having some trouble Angel?" Draco teased from his spot on the other side of the couch.

"You could help you know," I remarked. He shook his head.

"I'm coming to this party. That's as much as you're going to get from me."

Eventually I just tried jumping to stick them to the ceiling.

"Okay- that's just pitiful," Draco remarked standing up. 

He grabbed my waist and lifted me up wobbling a little when the couch moved under his feet. I stuck the streamers one by one to the ceiling and tried to ignore the butterflies that flooded my stomach when his icy cold fingers slipped under my jumper.

When he let me down again I turned to face him.

"There was a spell you know," Draco said unsmiling but still making a joke.

"Well thanks! Why didn't you just tell me that sooner?" I asked.

"Oh please. Like you didn't like my hands on you. You're not a saint, Angel," Draco remarked. My face got red but I smiled because there was no point denying it.

"Come on Eve! We've got to get food from the house elves," Daphne called from across the room.

I smiled once more at Draco and raced off to help Daphne and Millicent.

We ran down to the painting of the fruit bowl and tickled the pear with our fingertips. It made a chuckling sound and formed a doorknob which we pulled on and let ourselves into the kitchen.

"Dobby!" I called as soon as I was in.

"Miss. Evangeline!" he said happily, racing up to me. He threw his arms around my legs and squeezed.