Chapter 1 ❁ The beginning for all intents and purposes

Song of the chapter: IDK you yet- Alexander 23

Evangeline:

I was born into a rough family with seven other sisters and brothers. Then I was thrown into muggle school as a child where I stayed until the age of eleven when I was given my Hogwarts letter. Ultimately I was disowned by my family when they found out what I was. The first witch or wizard ever to be an undecided member of the elite Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Every year they have to re-sort me. Every year they set the stupid hat on my head and every year my so called, "family," changes.

The first year I was sorted they figured out that my mind was peculiar. The hat was set on my head and within a minute it yelled Gryffindor. I was about to stand and walk to the table when the hat screamed Ravenclaw. Then, confused, I turned to walk to the Ravenclaw table. When finally it yelled Hufflepuff it went limp and stayed silent. Everyone was silent.

My stupid eleven year old self thought this was normal. Thought the hat sometimes changed it's mind, but when the whispers started I knew I was in deep trouble.

It was the most horrifying experience of my life. Professor McGonagall had stood, speechless, for a whole minute after the hat finally went silent before I took the hat off of my own head and gulped down the oxygen that surrounded me. Everyone's eyes were on me except one first year boy who sat at the Slytherin table, his platinum blond hair gelled up into a wave on his head. I almost began to cry but then a seventh year Hufflepuff girl began to slowly clap and a few more people joined in. It was more confused and nervous than excited. I sat at that table and didn't eat or move an inch for the whole dinner period.

Ever since then they'd check every year. And although sometimes I'd find myself in the same house for a second time it was never two years in a row, and I was never in Slytherin house, (thank the lord. Their whispers and stares when I walked down the hallway were enough to drive anyone mad.)

My first year I was Hufflepuff. Second year I was Ravenclaw, third year Gryffindor, fourth year Hufflepuff again, fifth year Gryffindor and now, going into my sixth year, I would become a member of a new house. It was tiring but it kept me on my toes. Nobody knew why it happened to me the uninteresting, unimportant witch from a broken family, but there was no denying that it had.

Moving from house to house meant I never felt like I belonged anywhere. Dumbledore, the old prick, said that it was because my "virtues and outlooks," changed each year. Sometimes I'd ask him why I wasn't ever placed in Slytherin house. He'd just smile at me and tell me the same thing. "Slytherins value pure-blood families. You, being a muggle born, are not fit for that house. Do you understand?"

"Yes," I'd reply. It's easier than telling him the truth.

Dumbledore had, for the most part, become like a father to me. I stayed with him over the summer holidays. He was a busy man though, so for the majority of my time during summer at his cottage in Godric's Hollow I was alone. I didn't complain, it's not as if I deserved even the bare minimum.

....

"Evangeline," Dumbledore's quiet voice spoke softly to me. I broke my head out of the clouds and let it fall back into his circular office.

"Yes?" I replied moodily.

"It's your first day of school dear! You're a sixth year now! So very old," he smiled warmly.

"Mm-hmm," I muttered

"Are you nervous for the sorting?"

"I get through it every year. Every damn year it's exactly the same. People stare. People whisper. I move away from my friends. It sucks." He gives me a withering look at my bad language. If only he knew the things I said when I wasn't around him.

He pats my hand which is resting on the arm of the chair and smiles lightly at me. He knows I am tough enough to handle being gawked at.

I am left in the office to go down to the great hall on my own. I'd stand with the first years and wait for my turn to get sorted.

With a final deep breath and one last quick glance in the mirror I headed down the spiral staircase and a few halls until I was thrust into the great hall by a teacher I didn't recognize.

Nobody seemed to notice me as I made my way to the front of the room to stand with the new first years but once I was standing in the crowd I could feel almost everybody's eyes on me.

I glanced around nervously as the first years went up to the wooden stool in turn and were sorted into one house each. One house. God how I wished that could've been me.

It was tradition that even though my last name, Grey, was right at the beginning of the alphabet and therefore the list of names, I would always be sorted after all the first years.

So the crowd thinned, each kid getting set at a table. Each kid shaking hands with the same people they would spend the rest of their school career with.

Finally it was my turn. I closed the distance between myself and the chair in a few seconds and sat down. I slouched and tried to make myself seem nonchalant about the whole ordeal.

"Hmm. You again. I suppose we're becoming best friends now aren't we?" the hat whispered to me. I shivered and played with the bracelet I never took off of my wrist nervously.

"Alright, well then. What house do you want?" the hat asked me. I stayed silent.

"Letting me choose again? You do have a lot of faith!" it taunted.

"I'm hoping you don't hate me for this because I really do like you but... SLYTHERIN!" the hat screamed.

I turned to glance at Dumbledore and he was sitting in his chair looking extra pale and very still.

I pulled the Sorting Hat off and stumbled to Slytherin's table.

"Well this is a first," I thought to myself with a nervous chuckle that I accidentally let slip out.

I took a seat across from Draco Malfoy, the schools so called, "bad boy," and waited for him to give me the same disgusted glance everyone else was giving me. He didn't. He sat there with his face resting on his palm, never once looking up from his plate and somehow, to me, that was worse than him standing there publicly humiliating me. It was the equivalent of meaning nothing at all.

I stared at him, hoping he would feel my eyes and look up. I don't know why I craved his attention so much but it was undeniable. I wanted him to notice me. Of course I'd heard all the stories about Malfoy and his cruel games from Ron, Harry and Hermione. They were as close to friends as I'd ever gotten last year. So yes, I knew about his attitude and his notoriously mean comments but either way he was the first person who wasn't curious enough to look and it made me feel even worse.

By the time dinner had ended I was in all but a tornado of rage. The Slytherins were unaccepting and rude to me. One of them even went so far as to spill her drink all over my robes. Malfoy didn't touch his food and never spoke or looked up.

I knew where the Slytherin common room and dorms were from the rare but not nonexistent parties the Ravenclaws and Slytherins used to have so I didn't hurry out the door after the feast. Instead I waited patiently for all the students to file out of the room before I walked up to Dumbledore.

"What happened? I've never been in Slytherin before," I remarked quietly.

"I suppose this year that's where you belong," he told me, a bit out of breath. "There is also something else you should know. There is a prophecy about a certain witch or wizard who fits in all of the houses. Listen to me Evangeline. Lord Voldemort will want to kill this individual because they could be a very big asset to Mr. Potter. Do not bring attention to yourself and do not, under any circumstances make friends with the enemy.