Chapter 5 ❁ Pride and Prejudice

Song of the chapter: Play date- Melanie Martinez

"You do realize that Draco Malfoy is staring at you, right?" Millicent told me with a giggle.

I looked up and found his eyes which were glued to my face halfway down the Slytherin dining table. I rolled my eyes and turned back to the page of Quidditch Through The Ages that I was halfway finished with.

"He's a prick," I muttered in reply to her. She laughed and some pumpkin juice shot out her nose. I giggled despite my sulky mood and handed her a napkin to clean up with.

Draco's eyes were still on me.

"What was he talking to you about last night anyway?" she asked curiously.

"My name. He says he hates it."

"Evangeline," she said, playing with my name. "Eve is much easier to say I'll admit but I like Evangeline."

I smiled gratefully at her and thought, once again, about how very wrong I was about the Slytherins.

After breakfast I walked out to the Quidditch Pitch for some exercise and quiet time. However, when my feet finally hit the muddy grass I realized I was not alone.

"Eve!" Harry called out from across the Pitch.

"Hi Harry! Hello Ron!" I called back. My old feelings for Harry made themselves apparent in the pit of my stomach and I brushed them away as best I could.

"Blimey! I haven't gotten around to seeing you all year! Sorry about that Eve!" Ron said fondly with a smile.

"It's alright. I'm having a wonderful time in Slytherin anyway," I giggled. The horror on the boys faces leaves when I make it obvious that I was joking.

"Hope Malfoy's not being too mental," Harry joked.

"Well actually. He's been quite- civil. He's taken to calling me Angel," I told them. My hand flew to my face and covered my open mouth when I realize what I'd said.

"That's not- it sounds really strange I guess. It's just a... friend thing!" I rambled, trying desperately to convince them.

"Well- brilliant!" Harry enthused awkwardly. "I suppose we should be heading back now. Uh- good to see you Eve."

They walked away and left me alone again. I rubbed my sleep-deprived eyes and hope in vain that they'd forget about my nickname soon.

I made my way up into the stands and closed my eyes to feel the wind in my hair. Draco's face is imprinted behind my eyes. His deep blue eyes, soft lips, the way his body felt against mine when I'd run into him the day before.

"What are you doing out here Angel?" A voice said from beside me.

My eyes popped open and I saw the exact figure that I'd just been imagining. I couldn't help but notice that he was even better looking in person.

"I was supposed to be reading," I told him with a sideways glance.

"It looked more like you were daydreaming," he said observantly.

I looked over at him and stayed silent for a moment, watching the blush rise on his cheeks.

"I wish you wouldn't call me Angel. It makes it seem like you have some kind of feelings for me and worse, the fact that I'm allowing you to call me that makes it seem like the feeling is mutual," I rambled. He scooted closer to me on the bench and ran his fingertips along my jawline.

"Who says I don't have feelings for you," he asked seductively. I pulled my chin out of his hands and looked away.

"But no. You're right. It does make it seem as if something is going on between us when really you mean nothing to me and I'm sure I mean equally as little to you," he remarked, standing up.