Chapter 7 ❁ Metal Strings

Song of the chapter: Cherry Wine- Hozier

The whole week Draco made me stay in his bed. He wouldn't even let me go to my own room. By the fourth day I could speak again but I still had the hideous bruises. Draco was too afraid to do a spell to fix me for some reason, I don't know why he cared if he hurt me. I didn't want to go to Madam Pomfrey though because I knew she'd tell Dumbledore and he might make me leave school.

On the fifth day my friends came for their daily visit and brought me some of my things. A change of clothes, my books which I had been suffering without, some sweets from hogsmeade, and the only muggle possession I still owned, my guitar. 

So on the sixth day of my bed arrest I decided it was safe to do whatever I wanted considering everyone else was at lessons.

I took out my books and licorice wands and read for a good two hours. When my eyes started to feel funny from staring at the words for too long I did what I hadn't done in months.

I pulled the guitar out from under Draco's bed. His dorm-mates had found out I was here, and they tormented Draco about it so I figured it was better to keep the guitar hidden from all of them, Draco included. The comforter that almost touched the floor on both sides of the bed hid my guitar well whenever it was under there.

I plucked a few chords and placed my fingers in a C shape. I hummed the tune of the song I'd been playing and eventually, with a few glances at the door, began to sing. I'll admit my voice wasn't very good but I enjoyed singing and playing. I could do it for hours and only stop when my fingers were bleeding and cut from touching the metal strings.

~Draco's POV~

I walked back through the corridors. I'd snuck out of class early so I could be with Angel. She may not have known but she was the only girl who's ever been in my bed. That's not to say I haven't been in too many of the girls' beds.

 I entered the common room and heard someone singing up in the boys dorms. I smiled to myself knowing it could only be her.

I walked quietly up the stairs and put my ear against my door. Her voice carried sweet notes of a song I didn't recognize and it sounded as if she was playing an instrument as well. Very gently, very quietly and very slowly I opened the door and stood in the doorway. Her back was to me so she didn't see me but I could most definitely see her. 

I saw the way her arm moved up and down and flexed and un-flexed as she picked and pushed the strings of a white wood guitar back and forth. I saw the way her hair fell, almost perfectly straight, down her back. I saw the way she lifted her chin into the air as she sang the higher notes. I saw the way she re-adjusted the guitar on her lap. I saw every tiny detail of her being. The way her spine curved up and held her in the posture only she maintained.

But I also saw the hand-shaped bruises on her neck and upper arm. The sight of them gave me chills and angered me more than she would ever know. I knew who had done this to her. I knew and yet I didn't have the guts to go and kill or even seriously harm them. I was a coward and I most certainly didn't deserve this strong, independent woman sitting on my bed.

I took a step forward and the floor creaked. She spun around faster then I would've thought possible and her cheeks became increasingly red.

"Draco," she exclaimed sheepishly. "How long have you been there?"

"Not very long," I told her with a smile. I walked over to her and sat behind her so that she could lean back into me.

"Keep playing," I pressed. She twisted in my arms to look at me.

"This is quite close Draco," she remarked looking at the position we are in.

"Do you have an issue with that Grey?" I asked slyly.