Chapter 8 ❁ Death Wish

Song of the chapter: Us- James Bay

The next day I walked up to Dumbledore's office with proof of the attack by the handprints on my neck. I spoke the password I knew too well and watched the gargoyle staircase come spinning around. I stepped onto it without a second thought and knocked hard on his office door.

"Professor!" I called.

He opened the door and did a double take at the sight of me.

"Might I come in?" I asked angrily.

He nodded and stepped to the side, letting me pass.

"Evangeline, what happened to your neck?" He seemed very startled.

"You tell me about some dangerous prophecy and then you don't explain it at all! Someone attempts to murder me and you aren't at the school! What's going on?" I yell.

"Evangeline, please. I will explain it to you if you wish but first you need to tell me what is going on?"

"Someone tried to kill me. I was walking to dinner a week ago and someone grabbed my neck. If it weren't for Draco Malfoy I'd probably be dead," I told him stoically. 

"Mr. Malfoy saved you?" he asked.

"That is not what you should be focusing on!" I yelled again.

He put a brittle finger to his lips and shushed me. "Professor Dippet," he said turning to a portrait on the wall. "Please go to the Slytherin common room and ask Mr. Malfoy to come to my office."

I watched Professor Dippet move through the picture frames until he disappeared.

"Please Professor. Explain this to me because it seems as if my life could very well be at stake here," I pleaded.

"We shall wait for Mr. Malfoy. I think he needs to hear this as well."

Draco burst through the door and his eyes searched wildly for something. When he saw me he seemed to calm down.

"I thought- never mind," he said, out of breath.

"Mr. Malfoy. Wonderful, please do have a seat," Dumbledore gestured for the chair next to me. I smiled at Draco as he sat down.

"I was told by Ms. Grey here that you are something of a hero. Is this true?" he smiled rewardingly. 

Draco turned red which seemed answer enough for Dumbledore.

"I expect you're wondering why someone would make a play on Ms. Grey's life. Am I correct?"

Draco nodded and I joined him in the action.

"Ms. Grey. Do you mind me telling you about this in front of Mr. Malfoy?" he asked me. I shook my head and he continued, talking more to Draco then to me. "Ms. Grey has a strong sense of... individualism, shall we say. Her mind works in curious ways and does not wish to choose one way of living or thinking. Therefore she moves from house to house. Lord Voldemort has followers. Countless followers but most of them come from your own house, Slytherin, therefore they all have the same values and thought processes. Ms. Grey, being from all the houses, somewhat contradicts what most wizards, Voldemort included, believe to be the structure of our society. She could either be a massive help to Lord Voldemort should she choose or she could aid the opposite side of this 'war' and help Mr. Potter. I suspect Lord Voldemort will be trying to make Ms. Grey join him and if she does not, I believe he would willingly kill her. Now this is where the attempt on her life comes into play. I'm sure the person trying to murder her will have been a Death Eater or at least avid supporter of Voldemort. The teachers are doing their very best to figure out who it might be but until then might I suggest that you, Ms. Grey, do not stray from your regular schedule and take the more crowded corridors to and from your activities."