Chapter 4 ❁ Angels

Song of the chapter: Peer Pressure- James Bay

The three weeks that followed me making new friends were some of the oddest but most fun of my life. We had one trip to Hogsmead in which I got five full bags of Exploding Bonbons, Fizzing Whizzbees, Fudge Flies, and Peppermint Frogs. I also got a mug of butterbeer from The Three Broomsticks and after this outing felt thoroughly sick.

We snuck out of the common room at two in the morning to go play a prank involving a ton of dung bombs on Filch who did not find it funny but never suspected us.

We had a fashion show in Millicent's dorm room of clothes we thought muggles would wear. I was the best at it but only Pansy made, "Mudblood," remarks to me.

It seemed that I'd misjudged the Slytherins as a whole. Their ranks were infested with Death Eaters, I'll admit, but many of them had been forced into it by their parents or some terrible threat The Dark Lord seemed to enjoy using.

Pansy, Daphne and Millicent weren't Death Eaters which made me more at ease around them. I couldn't help but wonder if Draco was a Death Eater. I knew his parents were but he seemed too soft on the inside to become anything more than a bully, despite his rough exterior.

Draco and I hadn't spoken a word to each other since the moment in the classroom after dinner but I knew he watched me closely because of how much I watched him. Our eyes were magnets facing so that their pull was too strong to ignore.

I went to classes, went to meals, hung out with my new friends, avoided dirty looks from my other classmates but I was never able to get his infuriatingly beautiful face out of my mind.

"What could you possibly be thinking about that's so interesting you don't notice a giant stone thing right in front of your face?" Millicent asked me one day when I narrowly avoided running straight into a stone pillar after double transfiguration.

"I guess I wasn't really thinking at all," I lied with a laugh.

Her eyes were skeptical but she didn't ask me anything else. The truth was too embarrassing. That my brain was never empty. That I was never at a lack of stupid fantasy kisses and meetings with Draco Malfoy. The truth was that he consumed my thoughts all too much.

The next day I dropped all my books on the way to herbology and Pansy scowled at me when she had to stop and wait for me to pick them up again.

"Get your head out of the clouds Grey. I've got places to be," she warned. I just smiled apologetically and hurried off after her.

After defense against the dark arts one day Snap pulled me aside.

"You seem to have more trouble paying attention recently, Ms. Grey," he said coldly.

"Sorry professor. I've had a lot on my mind," I told him.

"Hopefully you'll be able to work past that and get your head out of your arrogant ass. Otherwise I think you might very well fail my class this year," he warned. I scowled but nodded, knowing he was right. 

Snape had kept me too long and I was already late to Potions with Slughorn so I ran as fast as I possibly could to the dungeons. I was so close. So so close to the classroom when I ran straight into someone. I felt their collar bone against my cheek and felt the burn of the collision against my chest. I wanted to glare up at the person but when I looked up and saw Draco Malfoy standing there, perfectly put together, the only thing I could do was stop breathing.

"Uh-," I started.

"Watch yourself Grey," he said rudely, barely looking me in the eyes.

"You could call me by my first name you know? Prove you aren't a total ass," I threw back.