Chapter 23 ❁ Lover boy

Song of the chapter: Mr Loverman- Ricky Montgomery

 There is a painting in Draco's room. One of a snake with eyes like fireflies. I hadn't noticed it until the morning we were leaving, the day after Draco's panic attack. I was packing my bags, getting ready to go, and I thought I saw it move.

It hadn't, obviously, but it had done its job of making me feel like I was going crazy in this house.

A few more hours and we'd be on the train back to Hogwarts and Hogsmeade.

That's what I told myself. 

It didn't help.

But soon enough we were on the train back, and only hours after that we were at Hogsmeade, our stopping place for the rest of Christmas.

Draco and I walked into the room we'd bought, and for a fair price too (Draco paid, I was broke). The room was quaint and much homelier than Draco's actual room, which I was grateful for. And better than this was it's location. 

It's placement right above The Three Broomsticks made it easy to get to all the main shops in Hogsmeade and also easy to sneak firewhiskey from the bar downstairs.

It had red tapestries and bed sheets, not unlike the ones in the Gryffindor dorms. The rug was soft, made from faux-fur I assumed...

I hoped, that is.

The innkeeper brought our bags up for us, he had insisted, and made sure we had a full pitcher of water before leaving us to ourselves. It was the first real alone time since the night before and I was touch starved because he had refused to even hold my hand on the train ride, playing it off as the inability to link hands with me due to his extremely important reading. He seemed to be feeling something other than sadness, maybe guilt? I couldn't be sure.

But what would he be guilty about? It couldn't possibly be the fact that he'd had a panic attack, for I'd seen him cry before.

"Draco," I said hopefully, trying to get his attention. He turned to me but his eyes were vacant.

"Yes?" he asked in a distracted voice.

I sighed, apparently this was going to be hard.

I would never admit it to his face, seeing as I, liked, this boy to all depths of my heart, but when he acted like this he reminded me almost too much of a child throwing a passive-agressive temper tantrum. It would've made me laugh if I had been any more hysterical.

"Wanna tell me what's going on?" I asked him, hoping he would see reason.

"Nothing's going on Angel," he threw me a pitiful smile.

"Don't be a dumb-ass. Tell me what's wrong! I'm not an idiot I can tell when you've got something on your mind."

"I've just never spent Christmas away from my family before," he told me.

But his voice was too pleading, as if he was begging me to believe him. And that's exactly why I didn't believe him. 

Draco Malfoy had some kind of issue and if he didn't tell me what it was soon I would quite possibly force a millionaire wizard idiot to spit out his stupid worries.

I was angry, although I wasn't sure why. My period didn't come for another two weeks so it couldn't possibly be mood swings yet. Maybe it was just sleep-deprivation.

"Do you want to go out before dinner?" I asked, trying to play off the fact that I was annoyed. It wasn't his fault, he'd gone through a whole bunch of crap and didn't need me making it worse.