Chapter 13 ❁ Hexes

Song of the chapter: Watch- Billie Eilish

A small pause in the doorway of the transfiguration classroom became necessary so that I could fully understand what I'd seen. Draco and Pansy. Pansy and Draco. Together. 

My feet began to move again but very slowly and unsteadily. His lips had been against hers, her hand in his hair. I was forced back to the night in the rose garden when I'd been the one holding him.

Millicent must have seen them too because when she and Daphne walked into the great hall for lunch that day she had a pitying look on her face.

"They shouldn't have been so open and up-front about it," Daphne muttered, throwing a few angry glances at Draco and Pansy.

"It's fine. Honestly I knew they were going to be together eventually. I don't need him to live," I laughed, sounding stronger than I felt. It was the truth- what I had said. I didn't need him or anyone else, that doesn't mean it didn't hurt.

"How are you okay with this?" Millicent asked, completely scooped up in her own rage for Draco.

I took a deep breath. "Think of it from my point of view. I was eleven when my parents disowned me. I wasn't ever sorted into one house for a long enough time for me to make any real friends like you guys. Everybody in my life ends up leaving. Even Dumbledore won't talk to me anymore so Draco ignoring me and kissing some other girl after he kissed me doesn't surprise me! People don't stay. If I've only learned one thing my whole life it's that people do not ever stay for very long. If they do then things get messy and generally people don't like messy."

I shrugged my shoulders and continued eating.

My friends eyes grew wide and Daphne began to cry.

"What is it?" I asked sympathetically, putting a hand on Daphne's shoulder to comfort her.

"How are you so- so- normal? You've been to hell and back and you're still the nicest Slytherin in wizard history," she cried.

"Daphne- it's fine! I'm okay! The point of that story wasn't to make you feel sorry for me I swear! I'm just fine!"

Daphne nodded and wiped her cheeks. Millicent brushed away a single tear and I immediately wished I'd just told them I was fine, nothing more. Pity was not something I was used to. I rubbed my eyes feeling very dramatic and undeserving of their attention.

Just then Draco stormed out of the Great Hall, tears in his eyes. I couldn't help but wonder if he was crying because of Pansy.

"Hey- uh- I'll be right back okay?" I told my friends. They nodded and I followed Draco out the door.

He led me, unknowingly, to a boys lavatory and I quietly followed him in. He leaned closer to the mirror and began to sob. I could hear the sound of his tears splattering against the metal of the drain and the porcelain sink.

"Draco?" I whispered. He didn't hear me and before I could make a move towards him Harry Potter came strutting through the bathroom door.

"I know what you did Malfoy," Harry snarled. 

I looked from one to the other in a confused daze. Neither of them saw me. My forehead began to feel very hot and my breaths came faster.

"You hexed her didn't you?" Harry asked in an accusatory tone.

Draco threw the first spell without saying any enchantment. It hit the wall behind Harry just as he threw one back. Harry's spell broke the sink Draco had been crying over and soon they were both running through the water on the floor.