44

Aaliyah Moreno

"Ow." He says as he furrows his eyebrows but chuckling to hide some of the pain. The dampened cloth against the bruise on his cheek probably hurt a lot, it made my heart sink for him.

"Sorry." I say softly while lightly tracing the cloth along the sensitive skin. The light from my room definitely highlighted it, but it also highlighted how his eyes were feathered shut, it created a shadow on his jawline and made it look more prominent, it made his tanned complexion glow while his chestnut hair complimented it. It was safe to say that even with a bruise on the side of his face he still glowed.

He opens his eyes and looks up at me while I slow the pace of wiping his face gently. I look down so my eyes are met with his. In the reflection of his pupils, I see me. I see my reflection in his bright green eyes as the sun reflects off of them. I see a girl who promised once that she wouldn't break, but she did. Yet when I see myself in his earthly eyes, it feels as though I find myself. I find myself in the colours of the forest Iris' and pitch black night pupils. I manage to piece myself back together just through looking into his eyes.

"Penny for your thoughts?" He asks through a figure of speech. I wanted to tell him how I felt, he already knew how I felt towards him. But what I felt in this moment was simply indescribable. It was a blissful awakening every time I looked into his eyes.

So instead I rephrased what I thought as I say

"What do you see when you look at me?" Timidly.

He keeps his eyes fixated on mine as he rests his hands back to lean on my grey silk bedding.

"Where do I start?" He asks as a genuine question.

"Uhm. Eyes." I blurt out seeing as it was the only thing we were each looking at right now.

"Your Eyes Aaliyah. Your eyes are a flickering glorious amber in which liquified redwoods and rich chestnuts rest beneath your eyelashes. A golden honey drips ever so carefully into the depth of your Iris. Almost a steely bronze; quite haunting but yet sparks a smile onto anything they look at. A coppery cinnamon cup where my own gaze drinks the sweetness of it." He says beautifully and pauses. He brings his right hand up to my cheek and caresses it with his thumb before he whispers

"if eyes are said to be souls. Yours Aaliyah would be made of pure gold that shines as bright as a sunflowers petals." He says making me chuckle slightly. That was all he needed to say, in fact I didn't even expect that. The way he spoke so beautifully touched my soul.

A soul he referred to as golden and as bright as sunflower petals.

"Let's just say you're the reason poetry is invented."

"What do you mean?" I ask now sitting beside him.

"It was made to describe pretty girls like you."

I inhale a deep breathe through my nose quietly as I feel the butterflies swarm my stomach.

"What about me?" He asks

"What about you?" I ask in confusion.

He lifts my legs up so they rest over his. He wraps his hand around my lower back and looks deeply into my eyes. He presses our foreheads together lightly as the only thing you were able to hear is our breathing circulating the room of absent noise.

"What do you see when you look into my eyes?"

"Your eyes." I say as I pause. Everything else went blurry as I stared into nothing else but his deep forest eyes. It's as if everything else didn't exist except us and the sound of our synchronised heartbeat.