Chapter 19

Dinner passed peacefully, and only with a small amount of tears.  Afterwards, Hugh took Jonas outside to the back porch to take another breather.  They leaned against the railing and looked out towards the backyard, which was massive and had a beautiful garden lit up with solar lights.

"Thanks for coming today. For everything."  Hugh said heavily.

"You're family is amazing.  I'm hoping I'm invited next time."  Jonas said and pulled Hugh closer so he can wrap his arm around is waist.  Hugh automatically placed his arm on Jonas' shoulder.

"You're not going to say anything about... me?"  He seemed to have had this question on the tip of his tongue for a while and his nerves were taut.

"What about you? Ah!"  Jonas sounded like he forgot something and spin Hugh so they were face to face and his hands were on his cheeks.  "You looked lovely tonight."

Hugh laughed.  "You asshole."  He placed his forehead on Jonas'.  "About how I look nothing like them."

"You look like a family, and that was an amazing thing to see."  Jonas said quietly.  Jonas knew what he meant.  Hugh didn't have the red or blonde hair.  He was adopted, but Jonas didn't notice until much later in the evening because he was so distracted by the strong family dynamic.  He truly believed that they were a breathtaking family.  He felt love in this house.

"That's not what I meant."  He grumbled.  He pulled away and leaned back on the railing, looking out in the garden again.  "It's obvious I was adopted."

Jonas mirrored his position.  "Is that a bad thing?"

Hugh let out a deep breath.  "I'm a stray.  Kicked out to the curb."

"Is that what people used to say?"  Jonas asked, giving Hugh a sad look.  It was a rough thing for a child to hear.

When Hugh nodded, Jonas sighed and leaned closer to him.  He quickly lifted a hand and smacked the back of Hugh's head.  Hugh jerked up and pushed Jonas away with anger. "What the shit, Jo!"

"Stop listening to assholes, you dumbass.  You're a Mad Dog, sure, but you're not a stray.  More importantly, you have a place to call home. Fuck those people, and if they have a problem with it, then we will fuck them up."

Hugh laughed, still rubbing the back of his head. "We are better with our fists than words.  I know they are good people.  I just hate people seeing me as a charity case.  It's stupid, I know, but people just can't let me just enjoy being a family with them."

"Then those people are garbage and better being out of your life." Jonas said with a hint of anger.

Hugh laid he head on Jonas' shoulder.  "You're right.  You seriously want to come again?"

"Absolutely. I may have to spend an extra hour on the punching bag to burn off the calories from your mom's cooking.  I didn't realize these sort of family dinners could be this enjoyable."  Jonas said patting his stomach. 

"Seriously? Fun?  Shit. What is you family like?"  Hugh asked with a laugh.

"Loaded question.  You really want to know?"

Hugh nodded waited for Jonas to talk, he never wanted to push Jonas, but he was curious about his family.  Jonas hesitated for a moment, wondering which parts he should bring up.  Some things in his past were just too dark.

"As a Spencer son, I was a pawn.  I was a means to create and maintain connections.  Make friends who will grow into your business partners.  Marry a girl with a powerful last name so you can tie families together.  Have children. Rinse and repeat for the new generation.  I was pimped out in the name of business.  During dinners with my friend's family, we would discuss my father's business.  I would give them his quarterly results, projected plans, and goals I had to help his business grow.  To show off my qualities to sound worthy to be in their son's or daughter's life, I would tell them things like-"