Chapter 27

Jonas and Eli stared each other down, making it uncomfortable for the people in the room. They waited for a full minute and Eli received a text. "They made it to their car." He said quietly.

Jonas sighed and relaxed a little. Before anyone could say anything Eli ran forward and jumped into Jonas' arms and a large sob sounded from Eli. 

Jonas will always remember the time he caught his father hitting Eli as a toddler. He always thanked whatever god was out there that Eli never remembered that moment. It's not a memory anyone wants their little brother to hold. He even did well at hiding the fact that their father beat him, shielding Eli, so he lived happily. What he couldn't block Eli from was the disinterest from his parents.  They hardly looked at either child unless they could use them to climb the ladder.

Eli felt that Jonas was more of a father figure even though he was only 2 years older than him.  Jonas was the one who really took care of Eli since he was a child.  He remembered the clumsy 7 year old Jonas learning how to make a sandwich for his lunch box, or teaching Eli how to dress himself.  He would make sure Eli was already ready for school, and would walk him back home every day.  He made sure he ate and finished his homework every day.  He would sit down and tutor him for hours, and then stay up late at night to finish his own homework. 

Jonas was the one who taught him from how to tie his shoes and to how to knot a tie for homecoming. He taught him how to act around people and respect others, despite being a socialite. He demonstrated the importance of being humble, how to work hard at any job, and to treat the job seriously.  Jonas did everything he could to show Eli how to be a man, when he himself was trying to figure it out on his own.

Although he had enormous pressure on his shoulders, he would never let Eli see it.  He would only show how supportive he was.  When Eli found his love for piano at the age of 10, Jonas scoured the internet to find a decent piano instructor and convinced his parents to hire them. He would attend every concert he had, even missing his own events or practices.  Even when he was the Wolf, he would sneak in and watch him.

He only started missing concerts when he was locked in the basement overnight, and that became more frequent in the last year.  But now, he had to stay far away, only going to a couple shows since the one at the cafe. 

For Eli, his big brother was everything.  He was his best friend, his protector, and his mentor.  He only wanted to impress his big brother, unaware of the many sacrifices or pain Jonas endured just to keep him safe.

Four years ago, a 12 year old Eli snuck into Jonas' room to tell him a secret. He was gay, no question about it. He adored Jonas and never wanted to keep secrets from him. His sexual awakening was something he wanted to be proud of. He prepared himself for Jonas to ask questions, already knowing in his young heart that his brother would not be disgusted with him. Although he knew Elites do not like anything different, he never falter with Jonas and told him everything.  Jonas emulated a perfect Elite on the outside, but Eli knew that he would never compromise him for the name of 'Elite'.

He remembered the night being dark, but Jonas always had a small lamp near the bed that illuminated the room.  He busted through Jonas' room with a cheer, being overly obnoxious and loud.  He accidently dropped one of Jonas's trophies making a loud bang that echoed through the house. He didn't think much about it because he was proud and confident of his discovery.  He wanted nothing more than to share it with the person he admired the most. 

He didn't notice Jonas flinching with the loud noise, and the desperate eyes looking towards the entrance of his room.  But Eli did noticed the building unbridled fear in Jonas' eyes as Eli started to explain what he was experiencing and his sexuality.