Chapter 47

Although the crisis of the Spencer household was over, there was still an overhanging shadow looming on the boys of Hawkings.

The Wolf Hunt.

They knew that they could not escape it and they had to come up with a plan. But life is never predictable, the the boys at St. Vincent's are quite vengeful. They could all plot and plan, but they knew that St. Vincent's were doing the same. What truly unnerved them was the radio silence from Lukas.

Jonas and Hugh were inseparable. They would work out together, eat together, sleep together, and visit Eli every evening. There was never a deviation, which was their first mistake.

The second mistake was Jonas exposing what he was scared to lose. His closest people. He just didn't know how grave that would be.

It was New Years Eve, and Jonas and Hugh visited Eli like normal. This time Travis was with them to watch the fireworks with Eli in the hospital and Hugh helped them sneak in food without the doctors noticing. They gathered around and enjoyed each other's company, with a sense of contentment that the Spencer boys hadn't felt in a while. Eli was going to be released soon and they had already set up his room in the dorm.

Hugh squeezed Jonas' shoulder. "I'll be right back." He went out in the hall while Jonas remained with the others.

Hugh stretched his waist and pressed his options in the coffee vending machine. He rubbed his face as the coffee poured into a disposable cup. He and Jonas hadn't had a lot of time to sleep, because he and the other Kings were working on a plan to counter St. Vincent's. They were trying to draw out this Hunt as long as possible, but as much as they tried to deny it, it would be impossible to avoid it.

Hugh was extremely frustrated and hated how they could still be manipulated by this school. He was lost in his own thoughts and watching the coffee pour, that he did not hear the footsteps behind him. His eyes were dull until he felt a sharp pain in his back and wave of heat rush through his body and then he felt like he was doused with ice cold water.

He turned his head quickly and saw a hooded figure walking away quickly and stuffing something into his pocket. Hugh felt dizzy and stumbled a little. Panic chilled his heart when he saw a red puddle spreading under his feet. He pushed himself to gain control of his body and stumbled back to the hospital room.

Jonas smiled warmly when Hugh stepped in, but the smile dropped when he noticed how Hugh was leaning against the doorway and was abnormally pale.

Jonas rushed towards him and took a sharp intake of air when he saw the trail of blood. "Help!" He yelled out. "Eli, press your emergency button!"

He grabbed on to Hugh, but his legs already gave out. Jonas fell to his knees with Hugh in his arms. He pulled up the back of his shirt and saw the wound that had the blood pouring out. "Fuck!" He cried out, his voice cracking and he pressed his hands tightly on the wound, trying to stop the blood.

"Help!" He yelled again. "Hugh stay with me. Please please stay with me."

Hugh weakly hugged him. "Sweetheart... Don't do anything stupid." His voice was a whisper. It seemed to be comforting, but the weakness that Jonas felt coming from Hugh made him panic even more.

"Hugh! Babe!"

But Hugh wasn't responding anymore. He was calling out his name repeatedly, his voice becoming hoarse. When he felt that someone was pulling Hugh away, he cried out and held him closer.

"Jo! Let go!" A loud voice broke him from his agitated state and he snapped his head up to the see the doctors trying to help Hugh. He quickly let go and watched them pull Hugh on a stretcher and ran him down the hall.