Chapter 31

Everyone from Hawkings relaxed during the weekend and readied themselves a new week of school.  They were approaching winter break, so everyone was tense because of oncoming finals.

The Kings walked together from the dorms to the school, surrounded by a large group of boys.  Cars would drive back and shout out cheers and encouragement.  The Hawkings boys were excited and would holler back at the cars with delight. 

They were so used to curses and not cheers.

The Kings only smiled and nodded occasionally.  However Jonas and Hugh were in their own world carrying on their own conversation.  Hugh's arm was wrapped around Jonas, and Jonas would lean into his body.  They were completely oblivious of the things happening around them.

They were joking when they noticed that the boys all were crowded around the entrance of the school and the atmosphere was dark.  The Kings all made their way through the crowd to greet a macabre scene.

In school's courtyard was an old oak tree.  However, there were two animals hung from the tree by their necks; a pit bull and a wolf. They had plastic crowns tied to their heads, and were covered in wounds.  The blood was still dripping in to a large puddle of blood under the tree. 

Everyone had their eyes on Jonas and Hugh.  They all knew that this was directed towards the Mad Dog and the Wolf. 

Jonas had a cold look on his face as he approached the corpses.  His face darkened further when he saw a knife was pinning something on the wolf's chest.  At St. Vincent's, every uniform would have the school's sigil embroidered with their name.  When he was jumped at the end of the school year, someone cut the sigil off of his jacket.  He always hated admitting it, but he knew that the 'somebody' was Lukas.  Even then, he had a hard time believing that Lukas would harm him like that, but reality was cruel and he had come to accept it.  And now, that ripped fabric was pinned to the crowned dead wolf.

Jonas sighed.  St. Vincent's would harm humans, it shouldn't be surprised that they would kill an animal no matter how innocent.  "Hugh, can you cut them down with me?"  He asked quietly.

Hugh's jaw was tense and his hands were balled into fists.  But Jonas' voice brought him back.  He quickly climbed the tree and cut the ropes while Jonas lowered the animal bodies to the ground gently. 

He pulled the knife out of the wolf's body, coating his hand in blood but didn't flinch.  He took the sigil in his hand and ran his fingers over it, touching the frayed stitching of his name.  Hugh had already climbed down and hissed.  "What the fuck is wrong with them."

Jonas felt a growl rumble in his chest.  "The can't compete physically with us, so they switched to mind games."

The other Kings approached.  "I think it worked.  The whole atmosphere changed in the school.  I don't know if they are pissed, scared, or both."  Sam said quietly.

"I called animal control to take the corpses away.  The teachers are getting a cleanup crew...  This is really fucked up."  Rodgers said.

Millan sighed.  "What now?"

Jonas was glaring at the fabric in his hands and turned on his heel and started to storm off of the campus.  The students looked at him curiously.  Jonas had his phone out in his hand that wasn't bloodied and sent a quick message.

Jonas: Emilia, what class does Lukas has now?
Emilia:  Joey??? English with Ms. Debbington
Jonas: Same room as before?  He's actually there?
Emilia: Yes and yes.  We're in the same class.
Jonas: K.  Thanks
Emilia: What's happening?
Emilia: Joey???