Chapter 28

When Eli jumped on him, Jonas wrapped his arms tightly around Eli. "You've been doing so good, baby brother. So brave."

"I hate it Jo. I hate them. I hate that school."

"I'm so sorry, baby brother. I shouldn't have left you alone... Don't go back. We can figure it out." Jonas said and held him tight.

Eli looked up with red eyes with a little bit of hope and optimism but shook his head. "You know he won't allow that. It will just cause more trouble for you."

"Fuck trouble. If he tries to stop me, I will hit him back." Jonas growled.

Eli hugged him again and took a deep breath. "No. We have a plan right now. We wait until you're 18."

Eli held out his phone and showed that while he pretended he wasn't interested or affected by his father hitting Jonas, he was actually recording it. He saved it to the large cloud file that housed the countless other videos. In fact, Eli took it as far to plant cameras at school to prove the bullying that Jonas had to endure, which is how he got the video of Jay cutting him.

"That's four months, and frankly I'm not comfortable with waiting that long anymore, especially if that bastard is back." He looked ashamed. "And with my violent history, I can't even guarantee custody, Eli. But if they won't let me become a guardian, then I'll ask Chuck."

"You're asking Chuck to take in two teenage kids. We can't do that." Eli said sadly.

"Don't underestimate that man's heart. Let me talk to him, baby brother."

Eli sighed, tears finally streaming down his face. "The legal battle alone is daunting. Is it worth it?"

Jonas crushed him in his hug, but quickly let go when Eli let out a whimper. Jonas let out a depressed sigh and instead wiped the tears from his face. "I would burn this world down for you, so fuck a legal battle. Besides, I already have the best lawyer looking into this for us. So don't go. Stay here. We'll keep you safe."

Hugh smiled a little hearing this, knowing his dad was helping Jonas and his brother.

Eli shook his head. "You already handled it and got his aggression out. I'm the prefect son who defended him in a viral video. Believe me, I'm safe right now."

Jonas picked up his chin and examined his lip that split he say yesterday. "Is this safe? He used to keep all of his hits to the body, never the face."

"This is nothing." Eli said, trying to shrug away the grip on his chin.

"This is everything! He reached his boiling point and you kept quiet about it! How many times has he hit you and I don't know about?" His voice was shaking and frantic. "You were supposed to tell me."

"Tell you? So you can come in, make a scene and get the piss kicked out of you? You never fight back. You never defend yourself. You just take it so we can just hit the reset button and wait on pins and needles for the next time. You think I like seeing that? What if he doesn't let you out?" Eli said roughly.

Jonas restrained a shudder. "I don't care if you like it or not. It's necessary. I never wanted this for you." Jonas huffed while pointing at his split cheek.

"I don't want this for you either. That's why I never told you he came home. Let me help carry the load, Jo. For once, let me take some of the weight."

Jonas sighed and kissed the top of his head. "No, baby brother. I got strong so I can handle it for both of us. You shouldn't bear any of this. Your place in this world isn't to be weighted down with bullshit. You are meant to soar."