Chapter 18

"Jo!" The little voice cried out again as the small redhead ran down the stairs and launched herself into Jonas' arms. He was shocked at first but quickly caught her. He gently rubbed her back. "Hey, Princess."

Lucy had told her family about the kind boy who saved her and stayed with her. He calmed her down and called her Princess affectionately. He was the reason why she was brave enough to tell them what happened. So when he addressed her as 'Princess', Lily's glass fell from her hand and a small cry escaped her lips.

Suddenly Jonas felt another body hug him and he saw the other redhead crying on his arm. He looked over to Hugh, unsure what to do, but Hugh was in a daze just staring at Jonas with glassy eyes.

Hugh moved quickly and joined the hug. Jonas turned his desperate look at Alex. Alex shook his head with a smile. "Just bear with them for a moment, please."

Jonas nodded and let the three others hug him. Lily was the first to break away. "I am so sorry, dear. We always hoped to meet you."

Lucy lowered herself down and looked a little embarrassed and then Hugh detached with a smile plastered on his face. Alex clapped his hand on Jonas' back. "We're not normally an overly emotional group, but you have no idea how much you mean to this family."

He ushered Jonas to the sitting room and they all found a place to sit. They looked at Jonas with adoration. But Jonas only noticed Hugh who had a trace of sadness in his eyes.

Lucy pulled his attention away. "Why did you leave that day?"

He knew leaving like he did was abrupt but felt that it was for the best. "I made sure your family came and you were safe, but I didn't want to intrude. I never got your name so when my father let me out again, it was too late and you were out of the hospital."

Hugh raised an eyebrow. "Let you out?" Jonas was normally very quiet about his father. Hugh only knew that he hated him and wanted to break away from his mother and father. But the words 'let me out' echoed the pleading Hugh heard during Jonas' panic attack in the dark.

Jonas smiled, but it was forced. Hugh noticed and decided to drop it. "You saw us go in? Jo, we have known each other for months now but you never said anything." His voice was sounded a little miffed and disappointed.

Jonas shook his head. "I never saw your faces. As a St. Vincent's boy-"

"ex." Hugh inserted

Jonas nodded. "As an ex-St. Vincent's boy, I kept my head down and tried to maintain a low profile. I'm sure I was the last face you needed to see that day."

Jonas lifted a hand and ran it through Hugh's hair. "Also your hair was blue at the time."

Hugh leaned in slightly to the hand. "That's right. I dyed it silver a little after that."

"I like the silver." Jonas said with a small smile.

The sadness was dimming in Hugh's eyes and his smile was a little brighter. "I do too."

A small giggle sounded next to Jonas which broke him out of his trance. He pulled his hand back and turned his attention back to the Richards. He felt the heat rush to his face when all three of them were grinning at the two of them.

Lily was still grinning happily. "So what brought you to Hawkings? If I recall, you were actually pretty well known at St. Vincent's."

Hugh's eyes widened. "Mom!" He hissed.

Jonas chuckled. "St. Vincent's and I had a falling out. I liked fighting too much, and the students there liked to make me angry."

Lucy giggled. "No wonder you guys get along so well. You like starting fights."