Chapter 32

Jonas knew where to avoid the Elites' eyes, so he brought Hugh around the back and snuck into the building.  No one was in the halls wandering around in the Elite building so they didn't have to worry about running into anyone unsavory.

Jonas reached a door and peeked in the window.  He grinned and winked at Hugh.  "Ready?"

"Always, sweetheart."

They quietly opened the door and entered a large lecture room.  The teacher was lecturing about a short story and didn't bother looking up from her notes.  Everyone in the class were sitting towards the front of the lecture hall, leaving the last few rows where Jonas and Hugh entered empty. 

They were quiet enough that even the class didn't notice them enter.  Hugh's eyes found Lukas and his eyes narrowed.  He stepped forward, but his hand was grasped by Jonas.  "Hold on, she's talking about my favorite short story."

Hugh huffed and leaned back against the wall and listened in.

"There are many theories about the meaning of The Destructors, but let's hear your interpretations."

A greasy voice echoed in the hall.  "Obviously it's about how those who are lesser are searching to thoroughly dismantle the social construct that has a strong foundation, such has hierarchy and classes.  In the end there is only chaos and destruction."

Hugh snorted.  "Did we read the same story?  Because I thought we were talking about Graham Greene's The Destructors, a short story written a little after World War II where the old social constructs and ladders were becoming irrelevant.  The world changed and the character, Mr. Thomas, naively believed that social classes were everything that defined life.  But his opinions were as worthless as he was when locked in his own outhouse.  He could do nothing but watched his own house collapse.  Those with backward thoughts are unable to stop the imminent change."

Jonas smirked.  "I didn't know you liked this story too."

The class murmured amongst themselves, but never bothered to look back to Hugh.  They figured he was some rejected Elite wannabe and didn't find him worthy to look at.

The same person who spoke before.  "Change?  I think your confused regarding the definition of destruction and change."

Jonas sighed.  "Personally I believe that The Destructors have a theme that destruction is another form of creation.  Greene even writes 'They worked with the seriousness of creators – and destruction after all is a form of creation'.  Post-war, the world had to dismantle its old ideals and create new ones - adapt with the times.  Mr. Thomas' position in the story can be seen more as a personification of a social system that should no longer exist.  The foundation that has been housing him needed to be dismantled and dissolved in order for something new to grow from the rubble."

The teacher nodded.  "This is a really good discuss-"  She finally looked up with a smile but paled when she saw the two in their blue jackets and smirks.  She gasped.  "You!"

All the eyes in the classroom turned back towards them, many showing fear.

Hugh ignored them and turned to Jonas.  "I like that theory.  Man it's been years since I read it.  Maybe we should find a copy somewhere."

Jonas nodded.  "Not a bad idea.  I can't believe it's not in my collection." 

"We're already late, might was well make it day and go to the bookstore and lunch afterwards." Hugh suggested.

"Maybe ditch the others?"  Jonas suggested.

Hugh grinned.  "I like that idea."

By this time, the class was edging towards the door and tensed.  They were thoroughly confused how these two can carry on a discussion and plan their day when they were knee deep in enemy territory. Only Lukas was standing in place, glaring at them.