Chapter 37

Jonas growled and laid his head roughly back on the bed. He didn't realize that he tensed significantly while texting Lukas, and his arm was tight around Hugh. The changes in Jonas woke Hugh up a while ago.

Hugh gave him a gentle look. "Sweetheart? You ok?"

Jonas let out a small sigh and handed his phone to Hugh. Lukas already assumed he read it, so it didn't hurt showing him.

Hugh was eerily silent as he went through the messages. "This is not fucking happening, Jo. You cannot agree to this."

"I know.  But Eli..."

Hugh sat up in the bed and ran his hand across Jonas' jaw. "We'll find a way to protect him."

Jonas gave him a tight smile and nodded, pulling Hugh back to his chest.  "I know."

Hugh gave him a curious glance, but his body was exhausted from their earlier activities and found he could not keep his eyes open for long.  His breaths evened and he was asleep almost immediately.

Jonas held Hugh through the night, but sleep didn't come easy for him. He normally took on these types of challenges by himself and a part of him wanted to just accept the Wolf Hunt. He thought it would be easier if he did it by himself. His peers, Eli, and Hugh would be safe.

But at the same time, he would have to deal with the fallout when Hugh finds out he accepted. Could he lose the man he just gained?

His mind was in turmoil and when Hugh woke up the next morning, he saw how Lukas' words had plagued Jonas all night.  His face was pale and dark shadows framed his eyes.

Jonas saw Hugh stir and gave him a light kiss on the forehead before he got out of the bed and went to the bathroom to shower. Hugh sighed with disappointment because this was not the way they should have woken up after sleeping together.  Hugh had treated his one night stands better than this, and now Jonas was shutting out.

He got out of the bed, wincing because of his soreness. He cursed out loud, but that didn't stop him from slamming the bathroom door open, revealing Jonas who was sitting on the sink with his head in his hands. He tossed Jonas his clothes and shoes.

"Put that on now." Hugh demanded. Jonas was confused but still put on the clothes.

Hugh grabbed his hand and he pulled him out. "You're coming with me."

"Hugh, what the fuck?"  He protested and tried pulling back but Hugh kept his hold.

"Don't fight me."  He snarled as he opened the door to the common room, surprising the boys already hanging out for breakfast with Travis.

Everyone watched the angry Kings stalk out of the room, one being pulled by the other. Hugh bent over and picked up a workout bag near the punching bag and continued dragging Jonas out of the dorm.

Travis ran after them. "Is everything ok?"

Hugh glared back at him. "Don't follow. Don't let anyone else follow either." 

Travis wanted to make a joke but froze when he saw how serious Hugh was, his normal smile completely replaced with a cold look. There was also an extremely dark atmosphere around Jonas that made him more unapproachable than ever.

Several boys stood in the hallway but backed out of the way when the two Kings walked by, already hearing the warning and did not want to test them.

Hugh continued to pull Jonas all the way to the empty school and picked the lock to the gym. He shoved Jonas inside and locked it behind him.

"Seriously, Hugh. What the fuck are we doing here."  Jonas said darkly.

Hugh opened the bag and threw Jonas' fighting gloves at him before pulling out his own.