Chapter 24

They dropped off Travis and Jaiden and had them take care of anyone coming to the dorms. They checked in with their groups and made sure everyone was ready.

The streets were empty, but unlike most Hunt nights, a number of businesses had their lights on and signs that read "#SOS" or "Safe House".

Sam whistled. "Shit, things are really different tonight."

"I just can't believe I don't see a single cop car." Millan said looking around.

Jonas shrugged. "They're paid off. Cops, judges, politicians. A large portion of this town is in their pocket."

They reached the town square, which was a small but well lit park. They knew that it was going to be the location St. Vincent's would use for their Prey, but it was in the middle of town, and they had good proximity to most of the other Hawkings student locations. They watched their notifications and received confirmations that their school was leading others to safety. Several fights broke out, but Hawkings were accustomed to small brawls from time to time so they didn't have major injuries. A few already visited the gym to get fixed up. But the good news was St. Vincent's haven't secured their Prey yet. Hawkings were doing their job well and the Kings were laying on the tables and benches in the park.

Jonas took his normal spot and was laying down with head on Hugh's lap. Hugh was discreetly playing with a lock of hair from Jonas.

"Can I ask why you thought they stopped the Hunt?" He asked quietly. But the night was so silent that the other Kings heard the question.

"Don't you like me for mysterious side?" Jonas said with a weak smile that only Hugh saw.

Hugh saw the conflict on Jonas' face, debating whether or not to tell Hugh something about his past. Hugh had only received bits and pieces. His past was fragmented and tormented, and Jonas tried to keep it to himself.

Even though Jonas never brings it up, Hugh coaxed him out of plenty of nightmares to know that his past haunted him still. He had no idea the things he would mutter in his sleep, but he would always wake up with Hugh's soft and gentle voice. When tears would roll down his face, Hugh would gently wipe them off and whisper reassurances to him until his body calmed and the nightmare passed.

Hugh knew that his beautiful dark man was in shambles.

Jonas looked at Hugh and knew that he was not swayed by he weak attempt of avoiding the subject. Jonas lifted his and and brushed Hugh's cheek. "Are you sure you want to know?"

Hugh nuzzled his face in Jonas' hand. "Yes.

Jonas sighed and felt calm looking at the sincerity in Hugh's eyes. "What are you doing to me? I don't think I will ever be able to tell you no."

Hugh felt warmth when Jonas said this, with his hand on his cheek. There was affection in his words, like he would give everything to Hugh, and Hugh felt the same. He wanted to share everything with Jonas. There was something special about every interaction with him.

Hugh flicked his eyes up and saw the other Kings standing with their back facing them and staring at their phones. They were quiet because they were straining to hear the details, but still gave them some privacy.

Hugh clasped Jonas' hand that was on his cheek and ran his lips across his palm, landing a light kiss. "I want to know everything about you." He gave his hand another kiss.

Jonas closed his eyes and let out a deep hum of satisfaction feeling Hugh's lips on him. "That's cheating." Jonas said in a deep husky voice.

Hugh grinned and moved his kisses to Jonas' wrist. "I know."