Chapter 20

Jonas and Hugh sat side by side on the couches in their dorm.  Their shoulders slumped against each other, and their hands occasionally brushing.  It was the theme for the last couple of weeks.  Slight touches, brushing of hands, and lingering gazes. 

They wanted to go out and do something fun today and celebrate their Friday, but the Kings wanted to have a meeting, so they kicked Travis and Jaiden out of the dorm and made them go to the mall.

Rodgers was pacing nervously.  "We have heard of reports that St. Vincent's students are prowling and getting restless.  They have been threatening other schools as well.  Saying shit like 'looking for prey'."

As Rodgers was describing what he was seeing, the resting and lazy Jonas sat up straight and trembled a little.  Hugh placed a hand on his arm and gave him a questioning look.

"Prey?"  Jonas said with a low growl.

Rodgers nodded. "That's what we have heard. They are following students from other school, learning their schedules.  And then people have spotted their fancy cars driving around town like they are searching for a location."

Hugh let out an angry breath.  "So it's that time again."

Millan growled. "Those bastards."

"We were lucky last year, but they hold grudges so I wonder for how long we can keep that luck running." Sam said and rubbed his eyes. "I hate how this night is so random and we can never prepare."

Jonas shivered because he knew exactly what St. Vincent's was doing.  "Those motherfuckers promised." His voice was low, but shook with his anger. "The Hunt was called off indefinitely."

Rodgers froze.  "Hunt? Is that what they call it?"

Jonas didn't answer him and pulled out his phone.  He downloaded an old forum application.  He hadn't used it in a long time because it was a special chat for the Elite of St. Vincent's.  He prayed that they were lazy and never removed him from the group.  He got the sign in screen and typed in his log in:

Username: JoeySpenc_Elite

He got the validation screen and he was suddenly in a large forum filled with pretentious and haughty teens.  Jonas grit his teeth looking at the familiar names. The audacity they had to be living freely and happily while planning a night that will be disastrous for others.

The 'Hunt' was cruel. St. Vincent's Elites would kidnap someone from another school, their Prey, and take them to a hiding place.  Then they would challenge the kid's school to find the Prey before sun up.

But it wasn't a simple game of hide and go seek.  The ones searching for the Prey would be ruthlessly attacked by St. Vincent students. Too many kids had to be sent to the hospital because St. Vincent's relentless and cruel.

The kids who are kidnapped get it the worst though. They would be beaten and humiliated throughout the night.  And if they were not found, St. Vincent's would tie their broken and abused body to the school's flagpole. 

It was a sick game that they were able to get away with because of 'daddy's money'.

It was a horrible tradition that he shamefully was looking forward to when he was younger.  He didn't understand how horrible it truly was at that time.  Like many Elites, he was ignorant of the consequences of his actions.

Rodgers was standing in front of Jonas with clenched fists.  He could see the screen in his hand and the St. Vincent's crest.  He ripped the phone out of Jonas's hands.  "What the fuck, Jo?"

He pulled Jonas up from the couch and slammed his fist against Jonas' face.  Jonas stumbled a moment, but did not retaliate or say anything.  He knew how bad it looked when he pulled up the application.  No one but Hugh knew he was from St. Vincent's.