Chapter 46

The hospital room was silent, except for the beeps from the heart monitor and a quiet, deep humming from Jonas. The rest of the group was asleep and did not stir. It was a long day for everyone, but Jonas remained awake, afraid to take his eyes off of his little brother.

A small groan from the bed made Jonas stop his humming and tense. He watched as Eli's eyes tremble and then opened. His eyes were unfocused at first but slowly cleared as they lingered on Jonas.

"Hey." Eli croaked out with a crooked smile.

Jonas sighed heavily. "Hey baby brother." He took his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.

Eli's eyes shifted to the pressure and then flicked over to the blonde curled up next to him. "Angel." He said with a small smile.

"How are you feeling? Do you need me to get anything? Water?" Jonas asked.

"Water." He said quietly. Jonas reached over and grabbed a cup next to the table and helped him slowly drink it, making sure he didn't choke.

After he was done, Jonas set down the glass and gave him a concerned look. Eli looked down at his bandaged hands and his eyes trembled. Jonas noticed his gaze and his expression softened. He patted Eli's head gently. "Your hands only suffered a fracture. Once they're healed, we'll strengthen them up again and you'll be playing better than Mozart."

Eli nodded dully, unable to stop the tears that started to fall. "Jo, I'm so sorry."

Jonas jumped up and wrapped his arms around Eli. "No baby brother. Don't do that."

"That place... how did you handle it?" He asked in between his breaths.

Jonas sighed. "Not well, baby brother. But we're both out of there and we will never go back." Jonas swore to himself to never let him return. No matter what fight he would encounter in the future, he will persevere. Even if he had to become a criminal and steal his brother away, he would never let him disappear from his sight again.

All the shit they suffered through now has a light at the end of the tunnel. Although they were in the hospital, knowing that they finally broke away from that family felt like a stone was lifted from their shoulders.

"What now?" Eli sniffled a little and Jonas pulled back to wipe his tears.

"Alex and Chuck are working with protection services. They will also help you enroll in Hawkings and find a place for you in the dorms." Jonas said while straightening out his hair.

They both fell silent, Eli still sniffling. "Aren't you going to ask what happened?"

Jonas smiled a little. "Did you want to talk about it? I won't force you."

Eli sighed a little. "I'm officially out of the closet. No more hiding."

Jonas a pang in his heart, and deep emotion swirled in his eyes. He always felt guilty for making Eli stay silent about his sexual orientation. He loved him but was terrified about his parents' response. He never wanted him to hide any part of himself, but they had to survive.

Eli sighed. "Stop with the glum face, Jo. You kept me safe for so long despite our circumstances. But I couldn't hide anymore... You're not upset with me?" He asked quietly.

Jonas. "I am upset, but not with you baby brother."

He wasn't lying. He was furious with himself for letting Eli go back to that house and that he couldn't protect him well enough. He was enraged with his parents for inflicting this damage. He was irate with Lukas, because he somehow became the instigator.