Chapter 10

After school, Hugh and Jonas rushed back to the dorms and changed into workout clothes. Hugh had a motorcycle but there chose to jog to the gym. Hugh was in great shape and was able to keep up with Jonas. He was excited to see Jonas loosen up when it was just the two of them. Jonas tended to laugh a little more than usual in private and his dimple showed a more often.

When they arrived at the gym, Hugh let out a curse. "This place is fucking huge."

Jonas chuckled. "You never came here? It's so close to school."

Hugh shrugged. "Only saw it from afar, honestly. Never considered going in until now."

Jonas looked up at the building and remembered the first time he saw it. He was only 7 at that time and was slack jawed. He had begged his parents to let him learn how to fight and they finally relented. It was the first time he met Chuck and they hit it off. Chuck immediately had a soft spot for Jonas and always took care of him.

Jonas's parents stopped caring about the gym after a couple of years, believing that the sport was under their status. But Chuck told Jonas to come whenever and he could still train when he wanted. Jonas made it a point to be there every day and was dedicated. When he got older, he tried to pay Chuck back by working around the gym.  Chuck accepted the extra hands by letting him clean or work the front desk. A few times, he would train the new younger students.

Chuck believed working formed good habits and discipline. He tired to teach Jonas a number of lessons and strived to be a good role model. He accepted Jonas like he was a son and provided him with the affection that was missing with his real family. They had a strong relationship for years, but last year Jonas distanced himself emotionally. He stopped communicating and didn't show up every day like he used to.

Chuck was protective with Jonas and was distraught with worry when Jonas showed up completely bloodied at the end of his school year. Jonas begged Chuck to not let his parents know, which meant no hospital. The fighters all worked together to fix him up and kept him safe. Jonas' parents eventually found out where he was and created such a horrible scene at the gym. Chuck had to restrain his fighters from breaking Jonas' father jaw. But Chuck was the one who wanted to cause the most damage.

Chuck had threatened to take Jonas away from them and when they said they didn't care, Chuck took him in. He worked with a few colleagues and got him enrolled in Hawkings and in the dorms.

Chuck was a father to Jonas.

Jonas gripped Hugh's shoulder and helped lead him into the gym. They guys called out and waved at Jonas. Jonas returned the waves and nods. A couple of the guys came to greet him.

"Who's this?"

Hugh grinned and introduced himself.

"Wait, aren't you a King?" One of them asked. "Mad Dog, right?"

Hugh laughed. "That's right."

"We have seen some of your fights! You have great form. Have you thought about being a professional fighter?"

Chuck came up and pulled the guys off of Hugh. "Good to see you guys again. I didn't realize I made a King drag a punching bag around."

Jonas shrugged. "You technically made two. Millan is another King."

Chuck laughed. "I really should pay more attention to the emblems." He was excited to know that Jonas already had a friend, someone close enough that he would bring here. The gym was sacred for Jonas.

The guys started to gather around. A few graduated from Hawkings and the others admired the school and their principles. The Kings of Hawkings had grown as celebrities in the city's fighting world.